• Register Today It's free!

replacement CD player and radio

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello again,

Sorry for having so many threads going, but I think it's generally better to keep separate issues in separate threads.

I may need to have the dash pulled to fix some gauge issues and if I do, I will take the opportunity to replace the radio/CD player that has been stuck on "CD error" for about a year now. Can someone recommend some double DIN replacement options? I wouldn't be opposed to something with navigation, an mp3 dock, hands free phone, etc. I guess it doesn't even need to have a CD player, just a way a music player of some kind that actually works.

There are a few threads on this here and there, but since this kind of tech is constantly changing and improving I thought I would start a new one.

Here are a couple I looked at without navigation,

Pioneer FH-X720BT In-Dash Receiver with Wireless Remote ($150)
Kenwood DPX501BT In-Dash Deck ($150)
JVC KWR910BT Car Stereo Receiver ($133)

These have navigation,

Power Acoustik PDN 626B Double Din Navigation ($180, free ship)
Pupug 710373534803 6.2-Inch Double-2 DIN In Dash GPS Navigation ($185, freeship)

LMHmedchem

I personally like factory Ford radios. Nothing fancy. Simple, clean looking, and most of the time last longer than aftermarket. You might try to find a radio from a newer Ford car or truck that will fit, I even went back to a stock plain am\fm no cd or cassette in my 95 F250.

Back