• Register Today It's free!

Replacing a fan clutch 94' XLT

Jcnbama

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I am going to be replacing the fan clutch in my 1994 Explorer XLt 4x4 soon. I have heard some different opinions as far as whether or not I need to remove my serpentine belt to get to the fan clutch. Some say its not in the way and provides tension to help loosen the bolt holding on the fan, and others say they removed it. I was wondering if anyone knew for sure whether or not that needed to be done. Also the fan clutch is attached to the fan itself correct? Not behind the water pump pulley? I am pretty sure that is the location. There is some discrepency as to whether or not the fan clutch is the same for an automatic or manual tranny. I see no reason for it be different but some of the auto parts stores say its the same and some dont. Any help with this would be nice also. As always, thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you. Thats a very helpful page. It's actually where I got the question about taking off the belt or not. I mean the guy with the 92 Explorer said he didnt have to and furthermore the belf acted as a tensioner for the pulley. I wonder if theres THAT much difference between a 92 and 94 model fan clutch and fan assembly?

The belt had to come out when I did mine. It's just easier to work with it off. But I also have the right tools to pull the fan. You can rent them as well.

If you don't have the tool to hold the water pump pulley while you loosen the fan clutch, leave the belt on. Then you can use a socket wrench on the belt tensioner to put more tension on the belt while you loosen the fan clutch nut. Before you do anything, unscrew the fan shroud and move it out of the way. Don't forget that the fan clutch nut uses a normal right-hand thread. This is probably mentionrd on the thread that you saw.

Bob

The belt gets in the way and it does not provide enough tension to hold the pulley still.

Wow. That was the easiest thing I've ever done to a vehicle. It came off fine with the Channel locks. The belt was slightly in the way but negotiable. The clutch fit fine. The old one was nasty and had mud all in the fins and rusty. The question remains . . . will it be enough to stop it from overheating . . . or will I be getting it rodded out? Tune in next time. . . .

Back