• Register Today It's free!

Replacing hoses

Marcus Aurelius

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I have a 2001 Explorer with 75580 miles on it and just replaced 4 hoses. I went to Ford before I replaced them and they told me I should go to 100,000 before replacing any. My friend I worked on the truck with said they should be replaced now because of their age and helped me change the 4 mentioned above. Should I wait until 100,000 or should I replace them soon. I'll let you know that it may take me awhile before getting to that 100,000 mark so I was planning on replacing them within the next few years. Any suggestions.

Also, when I was replacing the 4 hoses, a couple of them were in good shape but a couple others were flaking on the inside.

-Marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know at what time you usually replace hoses by age and mileage.

-Marc

Are we talking rad hoses or brake hoses? If rad hoses, i replace them when they start to swell up and feel mushy. Brake hoses when the first hairline cracks start to appear

radiator hoses and heater hoses.

You certainly didn't do a bad thing in replacing the hoses. Maintenance is everything.

Is it a V8 or a SOHC?

The SOHCs have 4(!) radiator hoses. One lower, then one that goes from the upper radiator, to a metal tube on the passenger side valve cover, then a hose that goes from there to the top of the thermostat housing. Then there is another hose that goes from the bottom of the housing to the water pump.

SOHC. My friend and I didn't replace all the hoses, only 4 of them because we weren't sure whether or not it was necessary based on the current mileage. I'll probably replace the other within the next couple years, I still think Ican get more out of them because even though they have some age, they don't have the recomended mileage.

-Marc

I've never replaced a hose in any car I've ever owned.
Example - 1998 Infiniti I30 260,000 miles, just sold it.
1999 Maxima - 162,000
1998 S'ploder - 71,000 miles and everything still looks new as far as hoses are concerned.

Keeping the engine bay clean and oil off of them is the key to extending their life.

If your hoses were flaking then you did the right thing. Honestly, time is just as bad for hoses as mileage. Although they're under the hood, each passing season brings a shift in temperature that can cause rubber to become brittle and crack. Inspect your other hoses. If they're cracking or flaking, replace those ones as well. Maintain the vehicle properly and it will last for many years.

SOHC. My friend and I didn't replace all the hoses, only 4 of them because we weren't sure whether or not it was necessary based on the current mileage. I'll probably replace the other within the next couple years, I still think Ican get more out of them because even though they have some age, they don't have the recomended mileage.

-Marc

Mileage is not how to replace a hose. Heat and time is what kills these things. The upper hose will go first as there get more hot coolant than the lowers. The hose will swell up and get mushy months before they blow. A truck in Canada will have less need to replace hoses than a truck from Texas. You can't go wrong by relplacing them, but it often not needed. If you have done it, then that's great!

There is no *official* maintenance interval for the hoses... That being said, 100,000 miles is as good an interval as any...

Now, that being said, mine are the originals... 11 years and 173,000 miles and still in decent shape. :)

Hoses when the car is cold should feel soft, and they should be a bit squeezable and flexible, so that they are able to take the prressure inside the cooling system. If they begin to look brittle, dry, or they become hard or plastic like, that´s when you should replace them, as they won´t be able to take expansion, pressure and movement and they will begin to crack.

Always chack them with a cold engine, so that the cooling system has no pressure, also as said try and keep them free of oil and other stuff, clean them with shop towels or other regularly, you can even apply rubber protectants. Hope this helps.

Salesman I used to deal with had 640,000KM on Toyota Camery with original hoses

The waterpump bypass hose on my 5.0 started leaking at 92k miles, less than 10 years old. It had never been touched before. It's hard to call a good maint interval on hoses, mine looked fine on the outside.

The waterpump bypass hose on my 5.0 started leaking at 92k miles, less than 10 years old. It had never been touched before. It's hard to call a good maint interval on hoses, mine looked fine on the outside.

Thats a good point, that by-pass hose will be the first to go. Everyone should check theirs. Mine is soft and starting to balloon out. I plan to replace it when I do the timing chain next week. My other hoses are still like new.

Hoses are a maintenance item too...IMHO

I squeeeze the upper/lower and heater hoses and if any of them feel crackly when I squeeze them I replace them all...

I had to learn the hard way about hoses... Checked them on my Merkur Scorpio years ago and one of the heater hoses cut loose and even though I stopped the engine before the temperature gauge went nuclear the engine cracked both heads...A 4 dollar hose caused $400 set of cylinder heads,$120 in gaskets, a set of lifters, and a week in downtime thanks to ignoring the signs under the hood...

That was the last time I didn't replace hoses every 2 years whether they felt fine or not...I look at hose replacement like oil in the engine or transmission or coolant replacement...Yes I am somewhat **** about doing maintenance on my vehicles but I do not like blowing up when I wasn't expecting it..

I replaced the original hoses when I replaced the leaking radiator last fall at 198,000 miles. None of them were leaking, but I heard that some of the hoses were becoming hard to find, which usually means price increase, so I just replaced them, for insurance. Cheap insurance I guess- I agree with ranger7ltr- easier than sitting on the side of the road, seems like they never strand you in your garage. :D

I'll definitely check the condition of the other ones and will probably replace them soon. Thanks for all your comments

-Marc

I am still running all original hoses at 195,000 miles and 12 years. I do inspect regularly and the appear to be fine. Probably should change them soon for good measure.

Replacing water pump bypass hose with minimal disassembly

Call me crazy or lazy, but when the bypass hose that connects the thermostat to the water pump split, I wanted to replace it without removing the radiator or the water pump. I removed it by slicing and cutting with a box knife then removing the clamps. My question is: has anyone ever replaced said hose without moving either the thermostat housing or the water pump? I'm thinking I could boil the bypass hose so it's nice and flexible, stick one end on the thermostat outlet, slide the clamps on, then stick the other end on the water pump housing inlet, then adjust the clamps. My 1998 Ford Exp. is a 4.0 liter. I had to order the bypass hose and it will arrive Tuesday Sept. 8. Any HELPFUL advice is most welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call me crazy or lazy, but when the bypass hose that connects the thermostat to the water pump split, I wanted to replace it without removing the radiator or the water pump. I removed it by slicing and cutting with a box knife then removing the clamps. My question is: has anyone ever replaced said hose without moving either the thermostat housing or the water pump? I'm thinking I could boil the bypass hose so it's nice and flexible, stick one end on the thermostat outlet, slide the clamps on, then stick the other end on the water pump housing inlet, then adjust the clamps. My 1998 Ford Exp. is a 4.0 liter. I had to order the bypass hose and it will arrive Tuesday Sept. 8. Any HELPFUL advice is most welcome.
So, I admit my laziness cost me much more time than if I'd tackled the repair straight on as a water pump repair. I got the bypass hose from the shop today. Could not install without removing the water pump. Hours of labor to install a $6 part. So, I wasted lots of time looking for a shortcut that wasn't there. Completed tear-down tonight and reinstalled the water pump. Hope to complete the rebuild tomorrow. Based on conversations above, checked and replaced lower radiator hose because it looked punky. Who needs a coolant system failure when winter comes?

Back