Replacing Multifunction Switch | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Multifunction Switch

it's actually really easy to disassemble / reassemble.

Still can't seem to located the dang relay - Dealers are saying that it's located in the fuse box (interior) but it's not (at least that I can tell). Have taken off the box cover and back of it too and cannot locate it.

Grrrr......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, just completed this replacement and thought I'd offer some tips. My Exploders symptons were an occasionally "buzzing" right turn signal, a wiper pump that worked about 70% of the time and hazards that worked about 50% of the time... a simple search on the board pointed me to a faulty MFS.

The original post was a great guide for me but there's a few things I ran into that I'd like to add that weren't discussed for my 98 XLT(keep in mind, I'm also a novice).
- The tilt adjust is easily removable, you just need to unscrew it- if you look closely, just in from the grip handle there is a flat/slotted area for a wrench in order to torque it left/loose... it is not hand adjustable before torqued loose.
-The steering shrouds WILL come off on a 98 XLT once you remove the tilt lever. They take some maneuvering and tilting but they do come off and go back on- no dash removal necessary.
-you WILL need a TORX driver(10 I believe) to remove the switch itself, it is not an Allan bolt.
-Be gentle on older models with the fastening clips- they will break!
-When reconnecting the battery be sure that you have nothing engaged on the switch(ie the hazard switch, mine was engaged and it took me a few minutes to figure it out as the battery was sparking when I was reconnected it).

This one took me about 45 minutes as a novice. Thanks for the original post a guide. Good luck all!

:usa:

I just replaced my multi function switch due to an intermittent wiper switch with a mind of its own.

I have the tilt steering, and did not remove it. I removed the top shroud and let the bottom piece hang from the tilt steering. I was able to easily access the bottom screw on the multi function switch without completely removing the bottom shroud.

20 minutes tops.

New switch (off Ebay) works perfect on initial assessment.

tip, the wire harnesses were pain to remove. reinstall with a couple drops of dielectric grease to make next time easier.

Appreciate the tips. I'll be putting replacing it tomorrow night. One of the stealerships in my town wanted $131 for the MFS but I found it at NAPA. Still, it seems to have really jumped in price since this thread was started.

Thanks again, Ray.

im going to do this tomorrow, mines buzzes when i use the left turn signal, ugh pretty annoying, hopefully replacing the MFS will fix this. while trying to check waht was wrong with it last time, my lock cylinder busted, and my damn car wouldnt turn off since the key wouldnt go back! hopefully nothing goes wrong when i try to meddle with this!

so i just finished changing the MFS not so long ago, went to the junk yard and took it off a 98 Mountaineer truck was totalled but the interior was perfect, paid 17 dollars for the MFS switch which was pretty good considering the prices i've heard here. now its workin like a charm! my wiper works, my left signal works and yess couldnt be happier, this thread helped me out a lot.:thumbsup:

Funny how a simple piece like that causes all kinds of grievances. Anyway, it went on with no trouble & my wife thinks I'm a hero. If only I can keep her thinking that way...

Same directional problem... looking for flasher relay

I have a 99 XLT. My directionals also aren't working. The fuse is blown, but changing it doesn't help as it just blows again after a couple turn signal uses.

All this info in this thread has been great. However, before I make an attempt at the MF switch, it was suggested to me that I check the flasher relay. (Does this make sense).

I was under the impression that this relay is located under the steering column... however I can't find the damn thing anywhere!!! (I'm a rookie). Can anyone either confirm that this is the right location and possibly help point me in the right direction... or if it isn't the right location tell me where it is? (I don't have the manufacturer's manual so I don't know where to find out)

Don't know if this helps but the box for the relay is underneath the dashboard just to the right of the steering column. No relays in the fuse box. At least on my Ranger. It's black, rectangular in shape, about 5"x1" and there's a snap at one end that you open and the cover comes off. There are five realys in the box. You want the blue one. Or the largest one at the end if they changed the color.
Changing the damn thing didn't help fix my problem but that's where the relays are.

The flasher box (on mine) was yellow, and mounted on a tab above the OBDII connector, under the dash. It slips out of its mount by pushing it towards the passenger side, then you have to release the clip to get it out of the socket.

It's a pain, for sure. You have to be an acrobat to see up in there, head next to the brake pedal.

My brake lights are out, and the fuses are fine, bulbs are fine.

I'm thinking it's the MFC since they've been smoking for a while.

I got the steering column covers off, but I'm having a #$@#()%*)(%# time getting the connectors off. They've got the snap-on clips on and I can't figure out how to get the damn things off!!! :mad::mad:

Anyone here have any advice on getting the wiring connector off the damn MFC? I'm ready to throw in the towel and let the dealership take care of this because I can't get the damn connectors off!!!

My brake lights are out, and the fuses are fine, bulbs are fine.

I'm thinking it's the MFC since they've been smoking for a while.

I got the steering column covers off, but I'm having a #$@#()%*)(%# time getting the connectors off. They've got the snap-on clips on and I can't figure out how to get the damn things off!!! :mad::mad:

Anyone here have any advice on getting the wiring connector off the damn MFC? I'm ready to throw in the towel and let the dealership take care of this because I can't get the damn connectors off!!!

I dont recall having much difficulty getting them off.
There may be a spring clip on both sides so you might not see one. Try un screwing the switch so you can have more mobility to see how the clips are on.

I dont recall having much difficulty getting them off.
There may be a spring clip on both sides so you might not see one. Try un screwing the switch so you can have more mobility to see how the clips are on.

Thanks, I unscrewed the switch, then brute forced with a screwdriver the clips / connectors off. It was stuck on there like super glue, good thing I have strong arms.

Well, I just finished replacing my multifunction switch as well in my 2000 Eddie Bauer. As usual, many thanks to "aldive" for the photos. Even though they're four years old, it helps to visualize the job before I do it.

It was a pretty straight-forward effort, though I will admit, like the last two posters mentioned, the clips were an absolute pain to get off. I was trying to be real careful and I am still amazed that I did not break the clips. I came close on one of them, but it held.

As for the multifunction switch itself, I got one on eBay for $37.95. It's a little stiff, but I'm sure it will loosen up properly in time. I did notice that, technically, there were two fewer copper contacts in the replacement multifunction switch than the original it replaced, but every function works exactly the same as before.

I have a huge problem! I recently replaced my MF switch and everything was working fine...then all of a sudden went out. I have no blinkers, overhead display, rear defrost, 4WD, and cruise. All of this is tied together somehow and i dont know where. Could wires be lose on the back of my fuse box? I had to tape the wires on my steering collumn into the harness as they were coming out and that worked fine and the wires are all still in the harness so the problem isnt there. Im just at a loss and really cant afford to take it in to a mechanic. All the fuses are good also. any advice would help! thanks!

You guys just need to take the multifunction switch apart and clean it. As soon as you open it up you will see the problem, all of the copper contacts are covered in green oxidation. I just took my dremel tool with the little wire wheel to all of the contacts, put dielectric grease back over them, and it works like a charm. Did the same thing on a buddies x and his is working fine.

Hey guys! I finally got my explorer back after getting a used engine put in (timing chain snapped). Prior to the engine crap-out, the turn signals and hazards were acting funny. They'd blink as normal for a few seconds, then stay on w/o blinking. Now that the car sat for 9 months, the turn signals don't blink at all. Also, my auto-on headlights stopped auto-ing. My wiper fluid squirter isn't squirting either, though I didn't check to make sure there was still fluid in there after all this time (though it did have a safety inspection yesterday in which they supposedly checked all of the fluids and swapped out the wiper blades...) Do you guys think its the MFS, or flasher relay, or what? When the symptoms started w/ the lights, I checked to make sure the bulbs weren't burnt out, though I've only had the car back for 20 min so I haven't checked again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys! I finally got my explorer back after getting a used engine put in (timing chain snapped). Prior to the engine crap-out, the turn signals and hazards were acting funny. They'd blink as normal for a few seconds, then stay on w/o blinking. Now that the car sat for 9 months, the turn signals don't blink at all. Also, my auto-on headlights stopped auto-ing. My wiper fluid squirter isn't squirting either, though I didn't check to make sure there was still fluid in there after all this time (though it did have a safety inspection yesterday in which they supposedly checked all of the fluids and swapped out the wiper blades...) Do you guys think its the MFS, or flasher relay, or what? When the symptoms started w/ the lights, I checked to make sure the bulbs weren't burnt out, though I've only had the car back for 20 min so I haven't checked again...

hmmm strange symptoms.
Auto Headlights are not in the multi function switch.. the sensor for that is in the rear view mirror. If you turn it off does it make a difference. (slide the switch to the left)

Turn signals, and wiper washer are in the multi function switch.
Id change the flasher relay first - cheapest and easiest
Maybe once turned on, the relay heats up, and then gives up.

Back