• Register Today It's free!

Replacing my 4" screen with an 8"

Mch

Reaction score
City, State
Niagara , ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford explorer puv
I'm trying to do the 8" screen update in my 2013 pui. I bought everything out of a 2013 and can't seem to get it to work. I have an extra wire loom with 4 pins in it that came from the 4" screen but doesn't fit anywhere into the 8" screen. I'm assuming it is needed to power the bigger screen. Any adapter or wiring needed to make this work??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are a few members that have done conversions so perhaps someone with the required knowledge will reply. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are a few members that have done conversions so perhaps someone with the required knowledge will reply. Good luck.

Peter
Thanks hopefully someone has some info for it. Shame to spend all that money on parts to not be able to make it work. I bought everything from the same year explorer and took absolutely everything I could out of it

Thanks hopefully someone has some info for it. Shame to spend all that money on parts to not be able to make it work. I bought everything from the same year explorer and took absolutely everything I could out of it
did you vehicle have Sync from factory?, even if you vehicle have Sync and you got all parts needed from the other vehicle, Sync is tied to the vin number of the original vehicle and you need the dealer to be involved.
I afraid you waste your money, but i may be wrong.

did you vehicle have Sync from factory?, even if you vehicle have Sync and you got all parts needed from the other vehicle, Sync is tied to the vin number of the original vehicle and you need the dealer to be involved.
I afraid you waste your money, but i may be wrong.
I dont know if my vehicle has sync or not but I wanted to do the bigger screen update rather then the tiny 4" screen. Just wanted the bigger touch screen to work I don't care about much else

I dont know if my vehicle has sync or not but I wanted to do the bigger screen update rather then the tiny 4" screen. Just wanted the bigger touch screen to work I don't care about much else
a way to know if you vehicle have Sync is to look for something like this (usb port + aux in) or check you cluster panel and check if the compass is available, if not get ready for the impossible, btw don't spent money on the tesla models radio (android) most of them require Sync to work and usually are garbage.

qxHaZ6r.jpg

2016-Ford-Explorer-Police-Interceptor-27-800x533.jpg

I have done this. Sync is not tied to the VIN. It simply reads the VIN from the BCM. You are going to need to get a pig tail for the APIM though and use the wires from that 8 pin plug. My 15 PIU did not have SYNC so I had to wire everything. I also upgraded my ACM so it has Sirius and HD Radio. I would also recommend upgrading your IPC to the dual screen one. You will also need to wire a microphone and rear camera if you are going to want that. Forscan is going to be your new friend.

I have done this. Sync is not tied to the VIN. It simply reads the VIN from the BCM. You are going to need to get a pig tail for the APIM though and use the wires from that 8 pin plug. My 15 PIU did not have SYNC so I had to wire everything. I also upgraded my ACM so it has Sirius and HD Radio. I would also recommend upgrading your IPC to the dual screen one. You will also need to wire a microphone and rear camera if you are going to want that. Forscan is going to be your new friend.
So do I need to order an adapter for that other wire to tie into that big plug for the big screen? Everything else I can handle. Just trying to find how

I would just go out to a wrecking yard and cut the plug out for it. It's connector #C2383 and it is a 54 pin connector. If I remember right the pins are the same size and they can be swapped but if I am wrong just make sure you leave yourself extra wire if you cut it out. Always solder.

I would just go out to a wrecking yard and cut the plug out for it. It's connector #C2383 and it is a 54 pin connector. If I remember right the pins are the same size and they can be swapped but if I am wrong just make sure you leave yourself extra wire if you cut it out. Always solder.
Ok my vehicle does have that 54 pin connector tucked in the back of the radio area. I plugged it in and everything works but the screen doesn't turn on. Could this be because the apim doesn't match the vehicle?

Ok my vehicle does have that 54 pin connector tucked in the back of the radio area. I plugged it in and everything works but the screen doesn't turn on. Could this be because the apim doesn't match the vehicle?
I mean the radio or nothing comes on. All the climate and everything works and such no screen or radio noise or anything. It's like it's turned off

Your 2013 was SYNC2 - about a low as you can go on customer sat, and a 4" screen is not even the same space as an 8".

If you got an 8" screen unit from a 2017 or later Explorer it was SYNC 3 - pretty good stuff.

THe entire electrical architecture of the vehicles was different, these are not plug n play, nor mix and match.

Your 2013 was SYNC2 - about a low as you can go on customer sat, and a 4" screen is not even the same space as an 8".

If you got an 8" screen unit from a 2017 or later Explorer it was SYNC 3 - pretty good stuff.

THe entire electrical architecture of the vehicles was different, these are not plug n play, nor mix and match.
I got everything out of another 2013 explorer. Do I have to get it reprogrammed at the dealer?

I mean the radio or nothing comes on. All the climate and everything works and such no screen or radio noise or anything. It's like it's turned off
You need to move a wire. I cant remember which one though. Once you re pin that one wire it will work. Let me see what I can find. Your ground needs to go from pin 38 to pin 37. Pin 5&6 also go to Pin 12&13 but those are not as important as they are just the MIC wires.

You need to move a wire. I cant remember which one though. Once you re pin that one wire it will work. Let me see what I can find. Your ground needs to go from pin 38 to pin 37. Pin 5&6 also go to Pin 12&13 but those are not as important as they are just the MIC wires.
Ok so pin 38 to 37 and then the 2 mic wires and should work?

Ok so pin 38 to 37 and then the 2 mic wires and should work?
It should power up. You still need to move 16&17(ICAN) to pin 19&20. Than you have to add Medium Can Bus on 16& 17. I will throw up the pin outs here in a sec.

It should power up. You still need to move 16&17(ICAN) to pin 19&20. Than you have to add Medium Can Bus on 16& 17. I will throw up the pin outs here in a sec.
Great thanks I'm working on it now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't mind my notes, Hope that helps. Now if it does not have Sirius and it does not have it I can help with that also. I have even done the Sony upgrade to. You basically need to wire the plug to SYNC 2 so any Qualifier that shows Sync 1 need to be moved to SYNC 2 pins. Just be aware that some stay as the only difference is the wire Gauge.

Back