Replacing shocks?....need some help/options... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing shocks?....need some help/options...

TM21fourT3

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Sport
Basically my '94 is my daily driver....very rare it goes off road. I want to make the ride smoother though....without spending a lot.

I heard somewhere that they bought four shocks for $100 and put them on themselves.

So what I'm looking for is.....
- what shocks are recommended to me and where should I pick them up?
- how hard are they for someone like me to do?

Thanks.

You can get monroe sensatracs for around 30 bucks a pop from Rock Auto. Original equipment motorcraft shocks are around 12 bucks. Anything will be a world of improvement over worn out stuff. I have Motorcrafts on that I put on last fall, but they are a bit stiff in my opinion, I'm considering replacing them.

I used Gabriel Ultra shocks all the way around on my explorer. They cost $34.99 each for front and rear at Autozone. The front shocks each have one nut on top and one nut on the bottom. The rear shocks each have two small bolts w/ nuts on top and one large bolt w/ nut on the bottom. If you don't have any issues removing the nuts and bolts, total replacement time should be less than one hour for all four shocks. You shouldn't need to jack up the vehicle to do it, but I would highly recommend chocking the wheels and removing the spare tire temporarily. You may have difficulty installing the shocks unless you are strong enough to compress them by hand like I did.

I recently used the Monroe reflex ones. They had a deal of buy 3 get the 4th free.
Honestly I see little difference from what was on there. Not sure what was on there before since I bought it in Feb.
But it rides fine.

Back