Replacing steel brake lines | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing steel brake lines

maybe I’ve been lucky, but I’ve replaced both front brake lines, the rear diff line, etc…never had to do an abs bleed

On that topic (yes I realize it's an ancient thread) Is it true that if you 'block' the brake pedal (put a brick on it? Not sure what it means) the valves on the ABS unit will close, and you wouldn't have to do the ABS bleed? A relative needs to replace some brake lines, and I may be helping her. Not even a Ford, it's an 03 Tahoe. But ABS should be similar in that? Advice appreciated!

The ABS module has special passages inside of it where the ABS solenoids are, and that's the place where air is very hard to get out of. The brake fluid passes through the ABS module through different paths than those solenoids, under all conditions except when the ABS engages. So that's why normal bleeding doesn't displace any fluid(or air) from the special passages inside the ABS.

In theory, air doesn't definitely move into those special ABS module passages, but it can and is relatively likely to if you allow brake fluid to run out of the upper lines of the ABS and master cylinder.

Thus it is most wise to try to stop any fluid from coming out of the lines, the caliper brake hoses etc. You do what you can and hope it works, but be ready to need to bleed the ABS module if air gets into it. I will probably have to replace the steel lines of my 98 Mountaineer, since they have been rusty for many years now.

The ABS module has special passages inside of it where the ABS solenoids are, and that's the place where air is very hard to get out of. The brake fluid passes through the ABS module through different paths than those solenoids, under all conditions except when the ABS engages. So that's why normal bleeding doesn't displace any fluid(or air) from the special passages inside the ABS.

In theory, air doesn't definitely move into those special ABS module passages, but it can and is relatively likely to if you allow brake fluid to run out of the upper lines of the ABS and master cylinder.

Thus it is most wise to try to stop any fluid from coming out of the lines, the caliper brake hoses etc. You do what you can and hope it works, but be ready to need to bleed the ABS module if air gets into it. I will probably have to replace the steel lines of my 98 Mountaineer, since they have been rusty for many years now.

All the feedback is appreciated! But I'm off the hook, they (wisely) decided to bring it in to a shop. Warranty will be provided. I watched a You Tube for this, takes a competent mechanic a few HOURS to complete this, lines go a long ways and are tricky to route. Whew. But I'll soon be checking out the various lines on my X. A trans line rusted through last year, the Fluid Film last fall must have been used up by now.Thanks, you guys!

That is very wise, be safe with brake systems. I have done a little of the serious brake line work on three different car projects. But replacing large amounts of brake lines is a highest level that requires lots of special care and often a special tool or two also.

Back