Replacing valve cover gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blm122

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0
My 4.0 OHV has a leaking valve cover gasket and while its all torn apart replacing that, is there anything worth replacing while Im at it? Im sitting at 184k miles currently and the only other engine problem possibly is a tick, some times almost slapping sound that comes and goes.
Id assume that would be something to do as well but is there any other seals to go ahead with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time you replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets?

As far as I know, never. I got the car at 144k and so far Ive only fixed the rear sagging, a few brake issues, and a bearing. Of course also oil changes, spark plugs, air filter.

I'd do the lower and upper manifold gaskets. Get an upper engine gasket set from FelPro. It should come with the valve cover gaskets, the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, fuel rail gaskets, EGR valve gaskets, and fuel injector o-rings. Probably I'd do the engine coolant temp sensor (the one with two wires) as well since it's cheap enough ($20). If your dash temp gauge is a bit lazy, you might also replace the temp sender (the one with one wire).

All the gauges are in perfect order, other than the lights half are dead lol. Ill definitly get those. Sadly Im no good as a DIY guy it seems so Ill be paying the labor for a shop. Hence why Im making sure nothings missed. Thank you for the help!

Back