Replacments for Wilderness at | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacments for Wilderness at

I need some help. I am replacing my wilderness at tires and need some ideas. i have looked at sears at their michelin xclt4, they are 104.99 each. Sam's club has a michelin x radial lt. I have not heard of these before. what are they? they also have BF Goodrich radial longtrail t/a in P235/7515 for 85.85 and in 30x9.5 for 74.99. the later being load rated lower than the 235's. they also have goodyear wrangler GS-A for 69.99. can anyone help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello,
do a search in this forum and you will find many opinions about many tires. It all depends upon what you want out of the tire off road vs. on, noise vs. quiet etc.

right now you'll be lucky to find anything in the 15's, allthough I had little trouble locating my BFG's.

jeff

Received Refund Check From Firestone Today

Submitted my paperwork for Firestone refund 2 weeks ago under the "customer satisfaction program", not the "recall program", and received a check today fully reimbursing me for the out-of-pocket expense of $590 for 5 BFG AT KO tires. I had the VDHL tires on the vehicle but was approved for reimbursement prior to being aware of the Decatur production tire code. I compliment Firestone Tires for the way they handled my complaint and the safety concerns I expressed to their representatives; they indeed provided me with COMPLETE customer satisfaction true to their word, and this is something rarely seen today in a major corporation. I extend my gratitude and thanks to Firestone Tires and its employees who are involved in the voluntary recall for full reimbursement for every penny of my out-of-pocket expense for a competitor's tires.

Spoon787,

I'm having a similar problem as you. So many tires to choose from! Not too many in stock right now but, I'll wait for a good quality replacement.
I'm looking at the BFG Long Trails also, and the Michelin LTX A/T's both in the 30x9.5R15 size.
I used to have the BFG All Terrain's (before the KO's came out) on my '94 F150 SuperCab Long box 4x4 and they were great for that truck but I worry about the agressive tread pattern for my current daily driver (I drive the Explorer 100% on pavement). Though I do need a tire that will work well in all types of weather like we have here in Rochester, NY.
The salesman, or if you prefer, "salesperson" at Sam's Club told me that he's seen (or heard ?) that the BFG GS-A tires have a "cupping" problem. I've never heard of the GS-A before so I can't comment about that (I also don't know what that means). I do know that it steered me away from getting them.
About the load rating difference, I saw that too and I can't explain it either. Maybe the tires are just rated differently because one is a "truck" tire and the other is a "floatation(?)" tire? Whatever that means! Good Luck!

Just my thoughts,

I just put the LTX AT's on my 94 explorer. Right away I noticed a big difference in the quality of the ride.
The truck does not shimmy at 55 mph anymore. It also corners much better. The tires don't feel like the sidewalls are rolling over ( on cornering) as they did with the firestones. I also looked at the BFG's but I use my truck 95% on pavement, so I think I made the right choice. I also looked at the x radials which I think are a more "all season" tire. They are a little less aggresive then the LTX AT's. So the LTX AT's are a good compromise(SP?) between the BFG's and the X radials.

I would say the Michelin LTX AT are an excellent tire. Almost had a set except they were (maybe still are) on national back order. Had to go with BFG who is actually owned by Michelin. I think the ride on the LTX's will be alot quieter and maybe smoother which is great for the street. However should beable to handle any light off road use. Good tire reputable name.

jeff

I have BFG Long Trails and they are great..from Sam's Club...they did a great job. These tires are very quiet and are tough tires with good handling on all surfaces...i have been in deep snow w/ no problem..also rain, dirt, and lotsa road driving...would buy these again anytime!

I run the Bridgestone Dueler AT. Excellent wet weather traction. In snow can stay in 2wd alot. They are quiet on pavement and bite off-road. Strong sidewall with no roll. They even have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. Have about 25,000 on them and still going strong. I run the LT235/75/15 on the explorer. The LT's have an extra ply in the sidewall than the P235's. I like them so much I put 30x9.50/15's on my Nissan 4x4. I have run the BFG AT's(not ko) and these are far superior. If nothing drastic changes I will run these again and again....Just my 2 cents...

Guys,

If anyone is interested, I have a set of (4) BFG Mud T/A's 31x10.5x15 with about 2000 miles on them, still in excellent shape I am trying to sell. I'll let them go for $300 and you pay shipping which should be no more than about $50 for the set. You can email me at Amigoisme@aol.com

Spoon, the XC LT4's at Sears are the equivalent of the LTX M&S tires, just rebadged for sale at Sears. I've seen lots of positive posts regarding the Michelins, and since I'm more of a road hugger (OK, my wife uses the Explorer most of the time and wants a smoother ride) I didn't feel the need to get a more aggressive tread for offroad. The Michelins are great road tires. Felt the difference immediately when I replaced the Crapstones with them. Sears also has the Michelin XC APT (?) which I believe are the equivalent to the LTX AT's.

[Edited by TPLYNCH on 09-06-2000 at 11:52 AM]

To everyone,

I ended up getting the Michelin LTX A/T's 30x9.5R15 at BJ's Wholesale Club, $475.85 for 4 tires. Boy do they look good, they fill in the wheel wells much better than the stock tires did and they just have a much nicer profile.

But more importantly, the ride is great so far (I've only had them on for 2 days now).

Thank's to all who replied with they're thoughts and opinions! It was very helpful in my decision making process.

FYI: info from Firestone regarding 16" tires

I have a mole at firestone...

· Press release from September 13, 2000

UPDATE: DETAILS OF TIRE INSPECTION AND REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

On Sept. 12, 2000, John Lampe, Executive Vice President of Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc. (BFS), announced the company is providing free inspections at company-owned stores and authorized retailers for any consumers who may be concerned about tires covered in the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) Consumer Advisory dated September 1. In addition, Lampe said, the company is prepared to replace the tires covered by the Advisory if a customer is concerned, using competitors’ products if necessary. If a customer chooses to visit a competitor’s location for replacement tires, BFS will reimburse the customer, with proper documentation, up to $140 per tire, based on actual costs for competitive products installed at non-BFS retailers. The reimbursement amount will cover the tire purchase, mounting, balancing, valve stems, taxes and disposal fees as required by law. In order to obtain reimbursement for the competitors’ replacement tires, the customer should return the old tires to any authorized participating BFS retailer and obtain a reimbursement form. The completed form, along with the original receipt for the returned tires, should be mailed to the address shown on the form. Forms are also available on the web at http://www.firestone.com.

This inspection and replacement program is being implemented as a customer satisfaction program to address consumer concerns as a result of the September 1, 2000 NHTSA Consumer Advisory. It is not a recall and is completely separate from the recall of the P235/75R15 Radial ATX and ATX II tires produced in North America and the same size Wilderness AT tires produced in the Decatur IL factory. The maximum reimbursement for recalled tires remains at up to $100 per tire. The difference in reimbursement rate is due to the range and sizes of the tires in the NHTSA Consumer Advisory compared to those covered by the recall.

Thanks for the info

Looks like Firestone is going about the 16" issue the right way, replace 'em if they holler, otherwise keep quiet. Since I tow on the interstates down south, I'm more than a little nervous about these tires. Thanks to 'Sphaugh' for the info, I'm printing it out and going to Firestone (and then BJ's Wholesale Club for some 16" BFG Long Trails before they run out)

Unless I am mistaken, I still don't think they are including the Wilderness AT P255/70R16, the 16" found on the Explorer. I have these and the driverside rear is showing some nasty cracks across the base of the tread. Even if Firestone would be willing to replace these, I really don't want Firestone/Bridgestone replacements. I'll pay for Some BFG TA KOs out of my pocket before that. Are the Wilderness AT P255/70R16 tires included in the "buy competitor's tires/get a refund later" deal? Thanks.

Ray,
Unfortunately your tires are not covered for the refund. But hold on to them, because I think that there is a good chance they may eventually recall all of the Wilderness tires.

I had mine taken off and got 4 new BFG T/A KO's put on, even though only 1 out of 4 of my tires were being recalled. I was looking at the tires in my garage when I got them home and I saw that there were small cracks developing all around the tire where the tread meets the sidewall. I couldn't believe it!! The sad thing is, these 2 tires that had the cracks were ones that were made at the Canada plant!!!! The cracks were developing on the "black letter" side of the tire which is on the inside, so you don't really see it until you crawl under there with a flashlight or take the wheels off. I'm just glad that I got rid of those ****ty tires. I can now drive everyday without wondering when my tire is going to blow.

Charlie H, I agree with Ray

Dead Link Removed indicates that your size Wilderness AT are not on the watch list.... yet.

Now quit fooling around with your personal safety & go get some new tires. You only get one chance in life.

Actually, in a few minutes I'm leaving work to go to the local Firestone dealer to have them look at my tires for a second time. Not that they'll remember me. I'll let them look at the tires and give me their two cents. I doubt that they will do anything. Maybe offer to pro-rate my tires and replace them with Firestone or Bridgestone. I don't think so. I'll likely get the BFG T/A KO's and hold onto the Wilderness ATs. Hopefully, they will be recalled. Thanks for the responses.

I got my freakstones replaced last week from the Firestone store, and they put on Michelin LTX AT tires. WOW what a difference, no more screeching making turns, smoother firmer ride, and much quieter. The verdict is still out as to whether there is any change in economy though.

Best part is they look good and are LT's!

I went to Firestone this afternoon and going with the pro-rated 30/70 replacement they would allow me (I have only 15,000 miles on my Wilderness AT 16"), I insisted on another manufactures tires (BFGoodrich All-Terain T/A KO's of course). That would put me with paying 30% of the new BFG's price. I should hear early this next week when they get them in. Now for a possibly stupid question. Is there more than one "flavor" of BFG All-Terrain T/A, as in with and without the KO designation? Or any other different types? I wouldn't want Firestone to pull a fast one and give me anything but the latest and greatest BFGoodrich All-Terain T/A KO's. I was wondering because in a BJ's Wholesale Club tire brochure, and if I understand it correctly, there is a reference to the wet handling and treadwear of the All-Terain T/A KO being better than the Radial All-Terain T/A (without the KO). Are they one in the same? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back