• Register Today It's free!

Req. Advice: Tires & Shocks

50sGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
I have a 2003 Explorer XLS 4X2 that I bought new and has about 70K miles on it. It's time for new tires and maybe I should consider upgrading the shocks as it has always had a stiffer ride than I'd like (My wife's Envoy is much nicer on the road and I'm jealous!).

I do practically all my driving on pavement and take long trips on the interstate. What I'd like is a good quiet-ridingtire that offers good traction both wet & dry as it hardly ever snows in my part of Texas.

For the shocks...just a nice comfy ride so I don't feel every jolt from the expansion joints they put in the highways around here. Not looking for off-road performance but a more comfortable ride with good control.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

50sGuy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

For tires, I really like the BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A. They're factory installed on most '02-'05 Explorers with the 17" wheel package. They're quiet, and rip thru the snow very nicely. I hardly spun a wheel this winter, and we had a record-setting snowfall this year.
Otherwise, if money is no object, you can't go wrong with a Michelin. The Michelin Cross Terrain might be a good choice for an all-seasons tire with long wear.
I've also heard good things about the Goodyear Fortera. That new Silent Armor technology keeps a lot of the road noise down.
The Bridgestone Dueler series are also excellent.
Check some of the reviews at www.tirerack.com and let that help you make your decision.

As far as shocks go...There's not too many options out there. Monroe makes a couple different versions, the Sensa-Trac and the Reflex. I seriously doubt that your OEM shocks are bad though. I've got nearly 100,000 on mine, and they're still fine. The ride quality is definitely tighter feeling than an Envoy or TrailBlazer would be. Those vehicles ride like a 1970s Buick. I personally don't like that wallowy mushy feeling. I'd rather have a firmer ride. It's just the nature of the beast...The Explorers have always had a firmer suspension than comparable GM SUVs. I'd learn to live with it, as new shocks probably won't improve things much, if at all.

Thanks for the advice and links, I'll check 'em out. As for the stiffness of the ride...yeah it does have a better advantage as far as "roadfeel" is concerned. This is my second Explorer (my first was a '92 XLT 4X4 and it rode pretty well for a 4X4) and so I have gotten used to the ride. But I do swap vehicles, especially for longer trips and I got to tell ya...the Envoy is a nice, comfier ride, especially on 5+ hour trips with state highways that are a bit bumpy with road repair always an issue.

Maybe I'll stick with the shocks I have for now but I can't help but think there's some cushier options.

Thanks again,

50sGuy

It's the springs more than the shocks that are contributing to the firm ride. Different shocks aren't going to improve matters much. If anything, new shocks might even tighten it up more.

My experience is that the shocks (in this case struts) make the ride firmer or softer though both play a role, shocks dampen the springs.

I have the Rancho RSX 17000 I like them, smoother ride at low speed (>35) firm but not as stiff as stock and have way better control in high speed turns (highway raps). I just ordered a set of KYB GR2s and will be changing them out next week end. For what you are looking for I would say Monroe Sensatrac or Reflex.

As far as tires go, did not know they made any other tire then Michelin Cross Terrain :D. I have had many tires over the years but nothing IMHO can touch a Michelin tire. They cost more but ride great have great traction and last 80k+, I am on my second set of Michelin Cross Terrains 160k, tires are about 1/2 way gone.

I mostly drive highway with an offroad excursion daily. Like today drove 140 miles drive up a mountain then drove 140 miles home.

you cant go wrong with the goodyear fortera. when it came out two years ago i went to the goodyear test track in akron, oh, and compared it to the michelin cross terrain. it was no comparison. better tire in every category and comes with a 70k warranty. stay away from the fortera triple treads. they are noisy and ride very firm. i have the wrangler silent armor's on mine, but again they also ride stiff but cant be beat. we compared that with bfg's all terrain tako tire. i bought my wrangler silent armors when i got home that day. now i put them on every truck i buy.

Back