• Register Today It's free!

Stock vs. Bilsteins

Kinnish

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT "THE GENERAL"
Well, I love my 98XLT SOHC Explorer I just purchased. Only one major problem, the ride? The history of this vehicle is that it was a leased car in Chicago(bad roads) and with only 45,000 it rides pretty rough. Ruts and cracks in the road sorta of have a jolting effect and sound. I took my X into Sears Tire and the dude told me my shocks were fine and new shocks would make the ride worse. I've read every thread I could and from what I've been reading Bilsteins are the way to go, though pricey. Will replacing the shocks I have now give me a better, smoother, less noisey ride, or will it be about the same as the stock shocks? I'm really confused , I expected this car w/ lower miles would hace a nicer quiter ride, but I hope shocks are the problem.

Problem #2(not as important )

When idling a noise from underneath the car near the exhaust and tranny turns on and off with a sort of rattling noise , any suggestion?

Regarding problem #2 ... it's probably a heat shield on your exhaust system that has developed a small crack near a spot where it was welded. Sometimes these things are really hard to find ...

Regarding problem #1 ... it's all a matter of opinion. Some folks like a "firm" ride that could be uncomfortable to others. Other folks like a "plush" ride.

I'd say go somewhere else and get another opinion. It certainly would not hurt.

Sounds like the heat shield to me too. The heat sheild sometimes gets bent up also. If you crawl under there you can usually peel it back and it will eliminate the noise.

Here is my answer to the shocks, your ride certainly won't get worse. Bilsteins are the best direct replacement shocks (in my opinion) that you can buy. They ride firm, but comfortably. The difference in control is amazing, like night and day over stock. And if your stock shocks have spent their life on rough roads, now is probably a good time to replace them anyways. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

--Sean

i got the bilsteins on mine, uh lets see, it firmed up the ride immensly. i doesnt act like a boat anymore. the are a little softer. anything over the stock shocks is better.

Back