• Register Today It's free!

Reset ECU

baddceo

Reaction score
City, State
OP, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer LIM 4WD
Anyone know where the ecu is on the limited? I'd like to disconnect and reconnect to reset it without disconnecting the battery. If that is the only option does disconnecting the battery reset all my interface and navigation settings including radio stations etc...or does it just impact some of the MFT presaved settings?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I advise against unplugging the PCM before disconnecting the battery. Unless you want to take a chance of rendering the PCM useless. Disconnecting the battery for a short time should keep your station presets and navigation preferences.

Good advice.

Anyone know where the ecu is on the limited? I'd like to disconnect and reconnect to reset it without disconnecting the battery. If that is the only option does disconnecting the battery reset all my interface and navigation settings including radio stations etc...or does it just impact some of the MFT presaved settings?

Thanks
Is this because of an issue with the MFT. There are a couple of options to try to address that. Disconnecting the battery will result in the transmission having to go through the 'Adaptive learning' cycle again as well the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance.

Peter

Is this because of an issue with the MFT. There are a couple of options to try to address that. Disconnecting the battery will result in the transmission having to go through the 'Adaptive learning' cycle again as well the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance.

Peter

Peter, thanks for asking. It's the latter. I installed the MagnaFlow exhaust a week ago and I wanted to to reset the ECU because things feel a little sluggish. What all is involved in the adaptive learning process. Is this the right approach for having the vehicle learn the new exhaust.

Peter, thanks for asking. It's the latter. I installed the MagnaFlow exhaust a week ago and I wanted to to reset the ECU because things feel a little sluggish. What all is involved in the adaptive learning process. Is this the right approach for having the vehicle learn the new exhaust.
I don't know if it will learn the new exhaust system. If you change your driving style because of it, it may. The learning process involves learning how you drive. Slow steady starts or quick fast starts etc. It then over time will set up the transmission shift points and fuel trim accordingly.
In short, it 'learns' your driving style and makes the corresponding adjustments to the systems. I don't know how much saved info you will lose by the negative cable disconnect but other than that I don't think it will be a big deal.

Peter

I don't know if it will learn the new exhaust system. If you change your driving style because of it, it may. The learning process involves learning how you drive. Slow steady starts or quick fast starts etc. It then over time will set up the transmission shift points and fuel trim accordingly.
In short, it 'learns' your driving style and makes the corresponding adjustments to the systems. I don't know how much saved info you will lose by the negative cable disconnect but other than that I don't think it will be a big deal.

Peter

Kinda **** about my trip 2 setting because I keep that from I purchased the vehicle to know how much I have driven. Its only been two fillups so this is probably the time to do it if I am going to...

Do i need to have the radio code handy to unlock it or is that not how the system works on the EX?

Thanks

Kinda **** about my trip 2 setting because I keep that from I purchased the vehicle to know how much I have driven. Its only been two fillups so this is probably the time to do it if I am going to...

Do i need to have the radio code handy to unlock it or is that not how the system works on the EX?

Thanks
There have been many members who have done the 'disconnect' and I haven't read any posts regarding the topics you brought up being affected. I had my battery replaced a year ago and didn't have any issues with the radio being locked. Unfortunately I can't recall if the presets were gone. I don't think with the trip 2 display was affected either although I have to admit I didn't check it out at the time. If all you're using that display for is to track mileage your odo will do that. I assume you also wish to keep the other trip 2 info as well. I reset mine after after 6 month oil change.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks

Trips won't be affected, Radio does not need an unlock.
I've seen the following settings disappear on a reset

Menu Mode -> Memory back to Standard
Display Trips -> Enhanced back to Standard
Display Gauges -> Fuel+Tach back to Fuel

Stereo presets back to default
Stereo Sound Settings (bass, treble, surround, etc) back to default
Ambient lighting back to default

I'm sure there are some other subtle settings, but these are the ones I've noticed during a long disconnect (or PCM flash from my tuner).

Great to know. Thank u.

Resetting the ECU has literally changed the entire driving experience. What used to lag, have slow shifts and cause a little more drone in my MagnaFlow exhaust has now disappeared. It's more responsive, a lot more quiet and now I am hoping that my mileage peaks up a little but. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, any time you do engine mods you should be doing a battery disconnect to let engine management reset. There are so many adaptive electronics involved with modern engines/transmissions.

Back