Retro fitting a sliding rear window on an early '07 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Retro fitting a sliding rear window on an early '07

96ZJBeast

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Ltd.
Hi everybody,

Looking for used 2nd Gen ST's and see a lot of 07's on the market. One thing I definitely want is a sliding rear window, but I see a lot of O7's, even Limited's with the solid, one piece rear window. Is it possible to have a slider installed to replace the original one piece? Or should I just continue the search, hoping that with the continuing rise in gas prices I eventually find the V-8, sunroof and sliding rear window I'm looking for?

Thanks for any help and knowledge you might share. This is a great forum and I'm happy to be here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just keep looking, but if you're buying used you will probably never find the exact one you want. I wanted one with a sunroof but I also wanted 4x4 and a V8, couldn't find it so I had to do without it.

If you're thinking of installing a sliding back window down the road, its possible but probably not financially worth the cost to buy one and try to install it. You could always wait around for gas prices to continue to skyrocket and then they'll be giving away new ST's at dealerships, esp the V8 ones like mine.

I have the 07 4x4 V8 limted with the power slider and I drove 3 hours to get it I found the one I wanted, had everything, Nav,power slider,leather,power pedals,moonroof,message center,sat radio, keep looking you will finally find the right one:D

I started a similar thread on myst when I was shopping, in the end I just kept looking and fonud a 07 with the window. It also had the armrest door pulls which I understand the early ones didnt have as well, so Id say keep shopping.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to continue looking...I've seen a lot of nice ST's and I definitely want the V-8 with the six speed transmission, since the mileage is rated slightly better than with the 4.0 L V-6 and the power difference looks significant. The moonroof and rear slider are important to me, but we'll just have to see what comes on the market as gas prices continue to climb over $4.10/gal. here in CT.

If you see any blue 07's or 08's with a V-8 on the market, give me a shout. My '96 Grand Cherokee with the 4" lift and 33's isn't going to last forever. ;) Well, with the 4.0 I-6 in it, it just might, but it won't be cheap keeping it going.

Thanks again,

Jon

I did happen to find a beautiful flame blue '10 Adrenalin with 4500 miles on the odometer on cars.com about a month ago. "Seller" was in Brooklyn (718) area code. When I emailed him he sent me 4 or 5 pics of the vehicle and told me the vehicle was in Helena, MT and he went into some personal information about why he was selling it for...get this....$14,995. No typo. Wanted to do the sale without meeting (claimed to be a cargo pilot and was never home). Sent me a link for NADA guides--nice replica of their website--one typo caught my eye. Claimed I would have 5 days to decide whether to accept the vehicle or reject it and the deposit of $2700 sent to the NADAguides website would be held in escrow while I made up my mind.

To make a long story short, it seemed too good to be true and Cars.com agreed 2 days after I filed a suspicion of fraud to them. His ad was pulled, but probably went up somewhere else.

I want an ST, and I wouldn't be above paying half the market price for one, but this was one of those times that I was happy my sense of smell won out over my emotional pull.

Just wanted to share the experience, in case anybody else out there runs into something that seems too good to be true--it most likely is.

Very wise choice I'm a cop and we get these type of complaints all the time it's usually the same story the vehicle is in another state the price is to good to be true and they want a deposit. They don't intend to get the full amount just 2 or 3 thousand. By the time they get to me the money is gone and I tell them there beat I can't get someone in another state so to sign a complaint is usless. You would have to fly to his jurisdiction. That is why they do it it's to much of a hassle and cost for the vicitim to maybe get there money back.

Back