Return from Geocaching Memorial weekend 2010 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Geocaching Memorial weekend 2010

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Just thought I would share as this is a camping/geocaching for techies and wheelers, free event, and is family oriented...

...I have spoke to this guy a couple times before but today we actually chatted about runs...He started something for fun and this year it is taking off...

...:shifty_ey ...Don't tell anyone but I think this weekends run is to Johnson Valley...
http://www.meetup.com/Land-Ops-Geocaching-Sports/calendar/list/

...Here is their homepage and for an added bonus, there is an Explorer in their banner...:biggthump
http://landops.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always thought geocaching sounded like fun. I'm interested.

..Do you have a handheld gps or can you borrow one??..I don't but I may do this last minute just to get the heck out of here for the weekend...:burnout:

...If you want to make it this weekend let me know...:D

Ok, i don't have a GPS but my roommate does. Not sure if it's handheld though. And i was out there for a race last weekend so i'm not sure i can make another trip right away.

...They told me they are going to take a little break during the summer but will have more trips in the future...It helps to have one you can input co-ordinates in...My little GPS can do that but when I'm offroad it says there is no starting point..:rolleyes:

...I still may just run out there in the Ranger just to meet up with them..They do night runs looking for cach's and I so want to do that in the X...

I'm presuming the coordinates will require going through the 4x4 trails and into the hills, correct? If so, i may just skip this weekend and do one later on in the fall maybe, in my dad's jeep. I've got a lot to work on on the truck anyway.

...I'm glad to hear your dad still has the jeep and I'm pretty sure he would like this too...If I go I will post back here with some pics...

Would love to do something like this but since i finally got a new job i have been busier than a 3 legged cat on hot tin roof.

guess it means more money for modding the Explorer :D

...Just got back to town...:D

...I had a good time and it was somewhat of a fast paced weekend...I will update this thread with pics later on and there was video being shot from multiple cameras and an rc helicopter...I will post the links when they become available..:biggthump

...This is the general location we camped at...Kind of near KOH...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.53...535834,-116.505547&spn=0.255668,0.441513&z=11

It is about 19 miles in from the highway and if I hand a LT Ranger..:shifty_ey ..This would be my playground...:burnout:...Plenty of rocks to climb too...:D

So what was it like?

...I'm down in San Diego so I haven't had much time to post up more info or my pics yet..:(

...Weather was perfect and the Ranger did pretty good...The big W was there for 2 days before the event and was a little breezy the first day...Temps were low 80*'s during the day with a nice breeze and probably mid 60*'s at night...(currently in the 100*'s)

It was my first time running a hand held GPS so I think I did pretty well with it while learning what I like and dislike about different models..(they loaned me one)

...I think you and your dad would have a blast if you took both vehicles...:biggthump...We did probably 3-4 events per day and 1 at night, then went exploring the area in between and after events while also taking time for lunch and dinner breaks...

...The exploring was a blast as the desert had a lot of rain this year so there was a lot of new growth covering what roads are out there...We found out quickly what was once vehicle roads quickly turned into no road at all or, they would turn into quad trails which would turn into walking trails...:D

...I did find out that the hand held GPS saves your fastest speed traveled...I was clocked at 53.4 mph once and an even 62 mph during these events...Not bad for running across the desert in 4wd on 14# tires...:burnout:

...There were lot's of pics and video taken but I heard they will be posting the video with in the next week...Here's a link to the official pics..
http://www.meetup.com/Land-Ops-Geocaching-Sports/photos/941708/

600_15478136.jpg

...I did have fun and I was asked repeatedly, "So, those Rangers have a 4 liter in them?"...I would reply,"Yes, alot of them do...Mine is a 4 cylinder though and it's only a 2.3L"...The faces were priceless...:eek:...:D

...I was just notified of the release of the movie from that trip and thought I would share...:D
http://vimeo.com/12687424

...Her Highness has moved up to speaking roles...:rolleyes:

...Sorry, I couldn't get it to embed proper...:(

and the academy award goes to...........:D

looked like it was a fun time tho

been wanting to do something like this for awhile......time is the enemy for me :(

Back