• Register Today It's free!

Returning...

dubbio

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Hello! again. my name is steve, im from ohio. i'm back on the forum again after a few years without an explorer, sad boring years.

this time around i managed to find an '02 XLS with a manual trans, its only RWD but has the D4 axle code (3.55 LS?). it was a steal for $400. only kicker so far seems to be the clutch is fried, as a bonus it turns out no one ever made replacement parts, or very few. The 4 door featured the m5odr1-hd, but with a 26 spline 1 1/8" input shaft, and its a dual mass flywheel setup so the clutch disc is unsprung.

ill likely be asking a ton of questions regarding clutches from 4.0l motors, measurements and the like. probly my biggest question is can i use a 23 spline input shaft? if thats a go then im likely to convert to the readily available clutch setup and be on the road for another $300 which gets me all-in under $1k

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please keep me in the loop on what you find for clutches. the Dual-mass FW and 26 spline combo seems to only be on early build explorers, from what this thread says, but no sources cited

If all else fails, a 4.0 M5OD from a Ranger should do the trick.

Also, what part of OH are you in?

im between dayton and cincy.

ive found a few places to get the 23 spline input shaft but im skeptical as to whether or not i can just swap it out. idealy id like to convert over to readily available parts, but very worst case scenario i send my oem parts to be refurbished.

i did find a clutch disc that will fit the input shaft from a 5.0 fox body, but the disc is the single mass type with the sprung hub and is 10 3/8in vs 10 1/8" and it wont fit inside the DMF. if i could make up the difference in the O.D. by trimming a bit off the disc and opening the dmf's pocket slightly, id try it for $40. wont help the pressure plate being grooved, but im not a racer so itd likely hold up for me.

im thinking its also viable to get the 23 spline disc and drill the rivets holding the friction media to each disc out, then just build the one i need. but still, not helping the pressure plate. plus the riveting tool is like a minimum $200 setup. theres options to explore, ill let you know what i figure out. with pictures! with the holidays right here and now you'll need to be patient tho.

Welcome back.

Welcome back! Cheers from the Sin City!

Sounds a good score, congrats! Looking forward with your build thread

im between dayton and cincy.

I'm in Indy, but I work in Batesville, IN. I'd be down to come out that way to take a look/give a hand (I need to run to the IKEA in West Chester, anyway).

cool, thanks! i'll let you know when the fun gets going

my bad, 3.73LS, apparently i cant read

Back