Rev limiter

CheapThrillEX

Reaction score
City, State
Middleville, MI (Gun Lake)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Sport
i have a 91 4.0L engine/harness/ecm etc....from an auto

i did a manual swap and just bypassed the nuetral safety so it thinks its in park/neutral all the time, and it acts as if i really have no rev limiter

now my buddy has a 93-94 explorer where we did this exact same thing as mine and he appears to rev limit 4500 approx...is the limiter bypassable or ????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why on earth would you want to go over 4500 RPM with an OHV?

Just curious

I dont remember ever having a rev limiter, but then I swapped from a 5 speed to auto and used the auto computer

my rev limiter kicks in at 5K. The power drops off at anything higher then about 4200 RPM. And the redline is about 4800-4900 RPM. I would think the only reason to want to rev the OHV over 4500 is if you have a hot cam.

<--stock 5spd....NO REV LIMITER....only a SPEED LIMITER

Ryan

My '92 owners manual says the rev limiter kicks in a 4900+- rpm regardless of trans.

I did the same thing you did when i did my manual swap and my rev limiter is a little over 5 grand.. i think i have a to go check. But i used to(edit) rev mine to the redline but i also have a 422 cam and headers and what not but its still got pretty good power at those rpms

Yeah, I don't see why you would want to take your motor even over 4 grand its to hard on the motor, I dont know if mine has a limiter or not but I aint riskin hurtin my motor to even find out :p good luck with your bypassing

sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, my trucks got the 5 speed tranny and no rev limiter, my owners manual says all 92's have one no matter what transmission. says it kicks in at somthing like 4930rpm..
Anyone have a wiring diagram. maybe mines been unpluged/cut
I would wayy rather hit the rev limiter then over rev my engine.
And sometimes you may not want to be that high, but if youre in mud, you may just need to put the hammer down keep the wheel speed up. id rather be limited by computer then valves..eeek

Back