How to: - Reverse lights- Manual Override - How-To! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Reverse lights- Manual Override - How-To!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I did a similar mod on my 2000 F150. A friend of mine owns mountain top radio transmitter sites and we often have to go up at night through locked gates and the ability to have the backup lights when closing and locking gates behind you is a real benefit.

As for the question on the relay, on my F150 if I just tapped in and added 12v to the lamp lead without the relay to disconnect the normal backup light switch it blew the normal circuit fuse. With the relay the lamp load is switched from the normal path to th installed aux path.

I did a similar mod on my 2000 F150. A friend of mine owns mountain top radio transmitter sites and we often have to go up at night through locked gates and the ability to have the backup lights when closing and locking gates behind you is a real benefit.

As for the question on the relay, on my F150 if I just tapped in and added 12v to the lamp lead without the relay to disconnect the normal backup light switch it blew the normal circuit fuse. With the relay the lamp load is switched from the normal path to th installed aux path.

Ok, I can see that. This just got put back on the todo list. As you can tell not familiar w/ relays but I do like to know how or why it works, Expecially since it's not adding new lights. Would it be possible to tap 12v from the rear power point in the box and how would that change the diagram. Or would that just compromise the power point. I have a truck cap and just was thinking of having the manual switch in the bed.

Thanks for your input

Ok, I can see that. This just got put back on the todo list. As you can tell not familiar w/ relays but I do like to know how or why it works, Expecially since it's not adding new lights. Would it be possible to tap 12v from the rear power point in the box and how would that change the diagram. Or would that just compromise the power point. I have a truck cap and just was thinking of having the manual switch in the bed.

Thanks for your input

3156 bulbs are usually rated at 2.1 amps. You'll be powering 2 of them, so your looking at 4.2 amps. If the wiring and fuse to your power port can handle 4.2 amps (which it most likely can, check the size of the factory fuse.), you can tap into the power port. Just keep in mind if you're using the lights and the power port at the same time you can overload the circuit.

Bringing up an old thread, I want to do this to my 97 Mountaineer but I also want to tap into the illuminated entry feed wire off of the RAP module so that when the illuminated entry is activated, the reverse lights do as well. I found a pinout diagram for the RAP, now I just need to do it. In theory, and if I do it correctly, they will not light up with just the doors themselves or with the dome switch, only with the RAP feed. any thoughts? has it been done?

Back