Reverse lights not turning on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse lights not turning on

rt88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
Hello everyone, I have a 1992 Ford Explorer and when I put it in reverse the lights won't come on. I have checked the plug that connects to the transmission (automatic) and there is power going through. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try to start the vehicle in reverse. If that works then it's likely that the switch in the transmission is bad.

ok I'll give it a try, and get back to you.

I gave it a try and they still do not turn on, can you elaborate on the switch, where exactly is it located do you know?

i gave it a try but they still don't turn on, can you elaborate on the switch that you said might be the problem?

It's the Neutral Safety Switch, I'm pretty sure it's responsible for turning your lights on. You might have a bad fuse or something then if the switch is doing it's job.

thanks for replying. I checked the fuse and it is fine, do you know where exactly it is located?

The neutral safety switch it's on the driver side of the transmission.it's right where the linkage bolts to the trans.it's easy to replace also.I think they're 50 bucks.

[MENTION=269626]kyled07440[/MENTION] thanks for replying, do you happen to have a pic that you can share with me? Just so that I can know what i'm looking for, also is it better to view it from underneath or from the top of the transmission, like from the inside of the truck

I don't have a pic, but just google the switch.and you can get to it underneath.I did it without even jacking the truck up.make sure the truck is in neutral with wheels chocked when replacing.

Ok thanks I'll take a look tomorrow morning

[MENTION=64288]MayJan[/MENTION] yes I did check them, I made sure to Check them before anything else

[MENTION=269626]kyled07440[/MENTION] I know this is late but I'm getting the neutral safety switch today after I install the new one do I turn the truck on when in neutral or do I put it back in park? Or if anyone else knows please let me know :)

It shouldn't matter either way. As long as the truck only starts in neutral or park and nothing else, it's working.

Thanks for replying I installed it a few hours ago and the lights work like a charm :) thanks to all who steered me in the right direction

Back