• Register Today It's free!

"rhino liner-ish" paint pics

beaubruns

Reaction score
City, State
lawrence, ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Alright I have been super tempted to paint my grey trim on my X but haven't been to keen on just a flat paint. (although Jutgin I really like the look of your X ;))I had been really curious about the idea of using truck bed liner or a rubberized paint. So decided to test it out on my wiper cowl. Here are the pics!

Here's the paint I used. I gave the cowl a good cleaning and then hit it with 600 and 400 grit wet/dry sand paper.
Picture049.jpg

Next I went to town. I put the other un-painted half of the cowl in their for reference.
Picture021.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture026.jpg

I also hit the wiper arms with some duplicolor black gloss.
Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

AND..............Here is the finished product! It turned out great and it convinced me to do the trim.
Picture041.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture045.jpg

I did a "torture test" on it as well. Just dropped a screw driver from a few feet. The paint held up well. It scratched it but didn't scrape off down to the plastic. I didn't think to take a pic before I touched it up either.

Here is my X by the way.
Picture039.jpg

OH and just for good measure..........
Picture046.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, no idea what the plate means though.

Looks good, no idea what the plate means though.

haha I live in Lawrence, ks. Home of the Kansas Jayhawks. Thats our victory chant, ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU! You hear it a lot during basketball season :p:

I like it, I've used it before on an old 69 CJ5 I had not too long ago. Holds up well just shake it good or it comes out with a red tint.

I like it, I've used it before on an old 69 CJ5 I had not too long ago. Holds up well just shake it good or it comes out with a red tint.

This is true but I got a brown tint. I was putting down the first coat and it started coming out brown and I was like WTF?

I recently painted all bumpers, wheel arches and side cladding flat black. I am very happy with the result. Mine is white so it makes for a nice contrast and ties in nicely with the window tint and other black trim. It had a silver color on it before and I was tired of it.

I recently painted all bumpers, wheel arches and side cladding flat black. I am very happy with the result. Mine is white so it makes for a nice contrast and ties in nicely with the window tint and other black trim. It had a silver color on it before and I was tired of it.

Did I miss a pic of this in another thread? If so let's see!

My son's go kart kept scratching off the paint very quickly so I stripped it down to bare framew, primered it, applies that same spray undercoating you used and then a top coat of silver paint

Worlds better, still gets scratches but two years now and it still looks great

I will have a thread up on the site very shortly... No more grey plastic...

This thread is good foreshadowing.

What's the vinyl in the windshield pic? :dunno:

What's the vinyl in the windshield pic? :dunno:

Oh its a post card my buddy sent be. It's a "promo" card by SanDisk for those mini SD cards. It says "get your SLOT ready". It kills me everytime so I left it in the window.

And yes I will also have the update when my whole truck is done. Should be by this weekend. Thanks for all the good feedback.

I just stole your idea thanks!!!

looks good so far keep up the good work

Back