Riddle me this Batman..5R55E or EGR issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Riddle me this Batman..5R55E or EGR issue?

slbeck1

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 OHV Sport & 2003 xlt
I have a 99 sport v6 OHV 2wd. I bought this vehicle new and never towed anything until 2006. In preparation for towing I installed a trans cooler. Did some short distance towing of a boat and also a project car (69 mustang). In June of 08 I had a check engine light appear..Diagnostic pointed to the EGR. I replaced the DPFE sensor (which was melting where the hoses attach to the sensor), and the truck ran okay for awhile. Then, the Transmission seemed to be searching for gears, and hard shifting around 40 mph...I Read another diagnostic code and replaced the intake manifold gasket (supposedly a common leak on these vehicles). The weather got HOT (like it does in Atlanta), and the truck began searching for 1st gear from a dead stop (usually after hot and with the AC running)...I heard some grinding noise from the rear end on occasion...Thought it might be the ring and pinion, so I changed the rear differential fluid and inspected, but all appeared normal there. The problem continued and I took it to the Ford dealer to have the Transmission checked...They found no codes. I had them change the trans fluid and filter..all looked normal (not much debris in the pan). Now (January), the bump has returned at around 40 mph...This sucker is searching for gears again at around 30 & 40 mph (it's a BUMP feeling)...I took it to a local transmission shop and they say this is an Engine issue; the Diagnostic code is pointing back at the EGR system. ISN'T THAT STRANGE?!..It's WEIRD that I have experienced what I would imagine would be TRANSMISSION related issues (searching for gears, and not engaging 1st gear from a stop) all from EGR system failures?!...Can anyone testify that they have witnessed this being the case with their Exploder? What else may be going on with my good ole reliable esploder? I'm thinking of replacing the DPFE again (since it may have been damaged by the intake manifold leak), and also the EGR Vacuum regulator. If this does not fix the problem I will try the EGR valve next.

What EGR code do you have? I don't know about this specific case but some EGR issues can manifest themselves as transmission problems. A bad EGR system can cause the engine to run lean, hesitate or make the computer compensate and change its shift strategy.

Code is P0401 "EGR flow insufficient"

Back