Elite Moderator Intoxicator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Rigby, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Excursion (THE BUS)
Okay gurus... I'm still having a CEL problem... Right Bank Rich... I've already replaced all of the O2s, cleaned the MAF and EGR valves, tried to find any vacuum leakes, unfortunatly I'm not exactly sure where to spray the fluid.. But I tried all of the places that I could imagine the leak could be coming from and nothing...

Any other ideas folks??? I REALLY want to get this fixed...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow I have no idea about this, but mabey an injector/fuel rail problem?

The FPR would most likely cause a code from the other bank too, but FPRs cause rich and lean problems all the time.

What code # is right bank rich?

Check out you spark plugs and wires especially on the right bank. If one cylinder is not firing correctly, that side bank will indicate rich, since you aren't burning the gas in that cylinder. You would be surprised at how smooth these engines can run on five cylinders. My BII ran fine with one wire pulled completely off, just gave the rich bank code. Hope this helps

a few suggestions-

1- check/replace plugs. if suspect plug is fowled, it may not be firing hot enough. over time, this could throw a CEL.

2- check plug wires on right bank. you will have to measure them with a tape measure. they should all read 5000 ohms per foot. in other words, if one is 1.5 feet long, it should read 7500 ohms.

3- check your fuel pressure. you should have around 35psi at idle. you can rent a pressure guage at autozone for free. if the FPR is bad, it SHOULD make all cylinders rich, but not always. remember, this is a Ford we are talking about...;)

4- it could possibly be a leaky injector, but probably not. they dont last forever, but honestly, ive never heard of someone actually having one leak with under 200k miles.

EDIT- Telford is right. one time i drove mine halfway around the block with one wire completly off. it still idled pretty smooth, and didnt really run that rough. it was just WAY down on power. it is possible you have a fouled plug or bad wire and wouldnt even notice excessive vibration or rough idle.

Originally posted by Heath
tried to find any vacuum leakes, unfortunatly I'm not exactly sure where to spray the fluid..
Use a vaccuum guage. Take the hose loose going to the brake booster and plug a vaccum gauge into it. You should get a reading between 17-22Hg. The reading should be steady and slowly rise and fall with engine speed at idle. If the reading is low or changes quickly, you have a leak somewhere.

Edit: A leak would normally cause a lean condition. I guess it could be possible to have a leak on the left bank and a bad FPR and the end result would be a rich right bank. Not very likely though.

Back