right tie rod end

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
hello all~
1994 explorer XL 2wd.... going to be replacing the right tie rod end. Any pointers or tips? Thanks!

George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. If you can afford it, do all of the joints.... inners, outers, drag links, idler arms, etc. It's likely they were all installed at the same time, and if you replace any of them, you'll need an alignment. Rather than do one outer tie rod and get the alignment, then 6 months from now you need the other side and an alignment, do it all at once and only pay for an alignment once.

That's the way I do it..... Oh, and count the number of turns on the old one before you take it off. It'll put it in the ballpark for setting up the new one before you drive it up to get it aligned.

-Joe

Buy or rent a pickle fork. It will make things much easier to take apart.

Yeah. If you can afford it, do all of the joints.... inners, outers, drag links, idler arms,

i gotta do this stuff next weekend... Replace the drag links too? isnt that just the steering arm? or am i thinking of something else?

Idler arms? are those the adjusting sleeves for the tierods?

gijoecam said:
Oh, and count the number of turns on the old one before you take it off. It'll put it in the ballpark for setting up the new one before you drive it up to get it aligned.

-Joe

That's a good tip, but some parts are longer than others (tie rod ends) -- so it doesn't always work. But You'll be able to tell if it's longer or not.

-Drew

Sorry.... I've been spending too much time on the F-150 board I frequent.... Exploders don't have idler arms....

If I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I replaced the parts on the Ranger I had) the pitman arm on the gearbox connects to the drag link (aka center link). The center link connects to the outer tie rod end at the other end, and an inner and outer end on the other (driver's?) side.

Like I said.... memory's a little fuzzy. I'm sure someone's got pics somewhere on here.

-Joe

gijoecam said:
Sorry.... I've been spending too much time on the F-150 board I frequent.... Exploders don't have idler arms....

If I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I replaced the parts on the Ranger I had) the pitman arm on the gearbox connects to the drag link (aka center link). The center link connects to the outer tie rod end at the other end, and an inner and outer end on the other (driver's?) side.

Like I said.... memory's a little fuzzy. I'm sure someone's got pics somewhere on here.

-Joe

Ok, i know what you're talking about. Its recommended to replace the Center link and the drag link (we well just call the left (driver) side arm that)?

i actually have a picture of my stuff.

attachment.php

So you actually replace those steering arms? I figured that the physically arms never wore out?

In most cases, the pitman arm does not need to be replaced as there isn't a moving part in ot. On many IFS vehicles, there is a center link attached at both ends, on the driver's side to the pitman arm, on the passenger side to an idler arm mounted to the chassis. It forces the center link to move in a straight arc instead of only one end. The idler arms are prone to wearing out, however you don't have one to worry about.

-Joe

Back