Road noise w/ Mud Terrains? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Road noise w/ Mud Terrains?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are noisier than the all terains but you kinda fall in love with the hum on a nice warm day driving through town. its nice in a weird, addicted to trucks kinda way. the bfg's wear real well, i've heard about 50 k can be had out of them i think.

There is a person who has the Pro-Comp Muds on this board(i can't recall who) he really likes them But one of my close friends has them, and hate them. To me they wear very quickly. I have the Ko's and they are going to least along time, i would say 60k+. One of my other close friends is on his 2nd set Bfg Muds and the first set he had got around 60-65k on them. But that is on a light toy, so i wouldn't say you would get that much out of them. What ever you do i hope your happy with whatever you choose. lata

i do like the pro comps. they are a good tire and wear quite well. as for the noise, it is minimal for a mudterrain. you will, like bigcheck said, fall in love with the noise though. i've owned both the bfg's and pro comps and liked them both but i did prefer the pro comps. they were a bit quiter and had a tad more aggressive tread pattern. i have looked at the a/t k/o's up close and they are an impressive tire. if your looking for a good on road and occasional light offroad tire then they would be perfect. good luck-russel

I talked to someone at National tire and wheel and he said he runs the A/T Pro comps on his rig as says they are great he A/T said that PRO COMP took BFG designee and made it better by 30% he said that the pro comps are ratted at 10,000 miles better then BFG. I plan on picking up a set of 33's on 15x10 rims in about a month.

Hope this helps
Oh the guy I talked to was Scott if anyone wants to call and talk to him

the only problem i've seen w/ the pro comps a/t's is that they are not aggressive at all. peterson's 4wheel and offroad did a run down on them a couple months back and rated them very well, but it was mainly for road use. i don't see where pro comp improved on bfg's design except maybe in mileage where but w/ the bfg k/o and interco's thornbird leading the way in the All Terrain world, i would put the pro comp closer to a streat terrian tire.

why not just go w/ the m/t's? they may not last all 50k but will come dang close and look a whole heck of a lot better and will actually give you some kind of advantage off-road.
-russel

Originally posted by bigDerk
Are Procomp/BFG Mud Terrain tires loud while driving? How do they wear as compared to the All Terrains?
Depends of your definition of "loud". The BFG MT are my everyday tires and I love them. When you have the window down, you hear them, specially at low speeds. At higher speeds, the huming just adds to the normal "concert".
I just have something over 10'000 miles on them and they still look almost like new. With what you kill them though are high speeds on these 270° on-off ramps. Take these curves easy, and they hold up almost as well as an AT.

Originally posted by olivesman
the only problem i've seen w/ the pro comps a/t's is that they are not aggressive at all. peterson's 4wheel and offroad did a run down on them a couple months back and rated them very well, but it was mainly for road use. i don't see where pro comp improved on bfg's design except maybe in mileage where but w/ the bfg k/o and interco's thornbird leading the way in the All Terrain world, i would put the pro comp closer to a streat terrian tire.

why not just go w/ the m/t's? they may not last all 50k but will come dang close and look a whole heck of a lot better and will actually give you some kind of advantage off-road.
-russel

Hey Russel, I noticed you're from Fayetteville, I'm in Stockbridge... maybe sometime when the weather gets nicer we could get together and do some wheelin? Do you know of any other forum members in our area?

Oh, and BTW, I'm going with 32x11.5 BFG MT's. (2" susp. lift for now, 2" body lift later)

check un the forum: "exploring everything under the sun". you'll find a thread about GA explorers. but heck ya, as soon as i get my truck the way i want it this summer we'll have to go wheelin. w/ my friends and yours, we'll have a pretty big group. we could maybe go to the telico trails or something.

i don't want to be anoying, but i always do this when it comes to this subject, GO W/ THE PRO COMPS! they are cheaper, look better, wear better and are a tad quiter. they also a have a little more aggressive tread pattern and side wall tread. but the only problem is, they don't have your 32's as of right now, but hey, 31's means more power and 33's mean better looks. CAN'T LOOSE EITEHR WAY! j/k do whatever you want, but that is my $.02. -russel

I got just over 50k miles with my BFG MT's on my Ranger. The road noise wasn't to bad but at slow speeds on pavement it felt like your driving on cobblestones. It was also very interesting when the road got wet. LOL

Back