Longest Lasting Mud Terrains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Longest Lasting Mud Terrains

I'm going to be due for new tires (i think?) sometime in the next 6 months. My ex is my daily driver. I run 33x12.5 pro comp mud terrains right now, and have about a year and a half of daily driving miles on them so far. Couple questions -

Since this is my first set of mud terrains, How do I know when to replace them? What tread depth should I be looking for?

and

What's the longest lasting mud terrain tire for mostly street use?

I'm pretty satisfied with the pro comps right now so they are my next choice by default, but I kinda want to switch it up and try something new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the best MT is the BFG KM2, based on wear on the street and some off-road.

If you like the tires you have and are satisfied with the performance then it is your call.

My next set of tires will be the 33x12.5 R15 MT KM2s because they wear like steel and they look good.

ltr,

I believe the best MT is the BFG KM2, based on wear on the street and some off-road.

If you like the tires you have and are satisfied with the performance then it is your call.

My next set of tires will be the 33x12.5 R15 MT KM2s because they wear like steel and they look good.

ltr,

They look nice, and I've heard good things about their performance, but not a whole lot in terms of wear - How do you know they "wear like steel"? I'd be interested to know how many street miles they can take.

for what it's worth I have Kuhmo Road Venture MT's on my diesel. They are a directional with a pretty wild design. Very quiet on the road. They are about ready to hit 50,000 however I've had people telling me I need new tires for about a year and a half now. It's almost like the first 50% of tread wore off within 15K and the 2nd half of tread has lasted me 35K.

Old style BFG MT's without a doubt wins in the longest lasting MT category. Of course with any MT, you gotta rotate them alot more often to get the most milage out of them.

MT and mileage do not belong in the same sentance, with that said I would say in my experience the goodyear MTR is a great MT / street tire that wears well, like danny said the first half tread is like 15K miles, the last 50% can last for years :)

MT and mileage do not belong in the same sentance, with that said I would say in my experience the goodyear MTR is a great MT / street tire that wears well, like danny said the first half tread is like 15K miles, the last 50% can last for years :)

Yeah I know, but once you go mud terrain you never go back. At least for me anyway. I am going to the PA Jeep show in York in July, i might just pick up whatever is on sale there, a friend of mine got 35" mickey thompson MTZs for around 150 a tire from a vendor there a few years ago.

I have ATs on my DD and MTs on my other DD/toy LOL
wife has MTR's on her daily driver, 45K miles a year she averages one set of MT's a year, but her DD is her toy....

I have ATs on my DD and MTs on my other DD/toy LOL
wife has MTR's on her daily driver, 45K miles a year she averages one set of MT's a year, but her DD is her toy....

A rough estimate of my mileage is 15-20k per year. It will probably be less when I am done working on my jeep, because I plan on driving it all summer except when it's raining.

I'm leaning towards Boggers.:D

On a more serious note how about Cooper Discoverer STTs? They look nice but I haven't heard about the mileage...

15-20K miles a year with boggers = 3 sets of tires a year :)

On a more serious note how about Cooper Discoverer STTs? They look nice but I haven't heard about the mileage...
The new style seem to be lasting longer than the old style. Make sure you rotate them EVERY oil change and they should wear pretty good.

Any other opinions on those tires?

As a side note, these sub forums are dead!!

I think i'm just going to go with BFG ATs. I thought pretty hard about it and I really have no plans to go out of my way and go wheeling with the ex. Figured I'd just save some money and get tires with more mileage. This won't be for at least a few months though because the pro comps aren't worn out enough yet.

On my second set. First set was the old ones, did very well. Set Im running now is the new style (even better) and there is a difference. STT's are nice tires a bit pricey but work great and aren't to bad for noise on the freeway.

Toyo M/Ts are the longest lasting I've seen. They come at a hefty price tag though.

Toyo M/Ts are the longest lasting I've seen. They come at a hefty price tag though.

Yeah I've read pretty good things about those, especially their mileage. Like I said before, I don't wheel my Explorer so there is no reason to have mud terrains on it anymore. I'd like to have them, but realistically ATs would better suit the truck's usage.

You'll like the BFG ATs, good tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back