Road Trip!!!

LLSTRIKES96

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hey Guys,
I am taking a road trip from Denver to Seattle and back in early June. Right now my explorer is 5.0 AWD and basically stock and I have a few questions about mods that could help me out and also asking if you guys have any good ideas. First off I'm buying my friends 31's and I'm wondering if I should hold off installing them until after the trip. I'm not changing the type of tire I'm running (Pathfinder Radial ATR) just size. Any ideas. Second, I just ordered a K&N and I realized it can just be clamped on to the stock hardware when you remove the factory box. How beneficial do you think this will be. I'm really interested in rigging some type of snorkel out of flex pipe and having that attached to my air dam and then into my factory air box. What do you think? Mileage? Third, since I am gonna be driving accross lots of dry hot areas in June should I think about a low temp thermo? Is it pretty easy to install?

If you guys have any other ideas let me know I would really appreciate them!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by LLSTRIKES96
Hey Guys,
I am taking a road trip from Denver to Seattle and back in early June. Right now my explorer is 5.0 AWD and basically stock and I have a few questions about mods that could help me out and also asking if you guys have any good ideas. First off I'm buying my friends 31's and I'm wondering if I should hold off installing them until after the trip. I'm not changing the type of tire I'm running (Pathfinder Radial ATR) just size. Any ideas. Second, I just ordered a K&N and I realized it can just be clamped on to the stock hardware when you remove the factory box. How beneficial do you think this will be. I'm really interested in rigging some type of snorkel out of flex pipe and having that attached to my air dam and then into my factory air box. What do you think? Mileage? Third, since I am gonna be driving accross lots of dry hot areas in June should I think about a low temp thermo? Is it pretty easy to install?

If you guys have any other ideas let me know I would really appreciate them!

I would hold off on the tires. Are your current tires in good shape?

The K&N and the KKM filters will be of good use. You will see an improvement in power as well as gas milage,

The low temp thermostat "might" mess with your computer. Others will know better. However, you might want to add a transmission cooler if you do not haave one.

I would run synthetic oil ( and other fluids too ).

Maybe a good tune up with new plugs and wires too.

Good luck....

1) dunno much about the tires, I don't think it matters either way. If you're going to be cruising at highway speeds, the larger tires might actually give you better mileage because your RPMs will be lower.
2) put the KN filter on. It will help your trip mileage and obviously help performance.
3) I wouldn't put in a low temp thermo, I've only heard of them doing bad things. Your truck was designed to run in all ranges of temperatures. My 4.0 with the stock 195° tstat does fine in the 115° Texas summers. Although with the blower I my need to add some minor cooling mods......

Can you tell me more about the transmission cooler? Tune up sounds good ofcourse too. I hadn't thought about that.

Can you tell me more about the transmission cooler? Tune up sounds good ofcourse too. I hadn't thought about that.

A transmission cooler is a little radiator that mounts in front of your radiator and is connected in line with the auto trans lines . It is essential for towing and heavy loads; can't hurt for general use in GOT areas. Here in Florida I have always had a cooler on every vehicle.

You can get them at any auto parts store in your area.

Good luck...

Oh, so that's what that thing is!

Anything else?

Stay with the stock tires. Bigger tires might lower your RPM's, but there is more tire to push and the tire has to push more air. I lost a LOT of power when I went to the bigger tires.

That's a good point. Last night I whipped out the calculator and figured out thatt I'd get and extra 1.4" of travel for every RPM (With a 3.73) that equated to an extra 2mpg at 70 mph. Do you think that at that speed pushing that amount of air is gonna factor in?

I'm building a heat sheild for my air filter now. What would you guys use to insulate the plastic?

I just ordered a K&N and I realized it can just be clamped on to the stock hardware when you remove the factory box.

I tried this with NO air box, it was a Bad Idea, the K&N just bounced around and bent its wire screen all up. I would suggest that you cut a big hole or lots of little holes in your air box, so that you still have the stock mounts for the air filter.

Originally posted by CBoug76

I tried this with NO air box, it was a Bad Idea, the K&N just bounced around and bent its wire screen all up. I would suggest that you cut a big hole or lots of little holes in your air box, so that you still have the stock mounts for the air filter.

A better solution would be to use either the K&N Kit or the KKM kit for the installation.

I used the KKM kit and it was a 10 min install.

I am very satisified with the kit and the performance results.

Actually I've made a little perch to hold the filter down. I have a peice of metal that runs parallel with the filter bolted down and then two clamps running off that holding on to the air filter. It's perfect.

Back