Roof cargo carrier

CountryFit

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Interceptor U
Hi everyone,
Have never used a roof cargo carrier on my cars, now for my 2018 police interceptor (no sunroof) I really need to have one. Are all needed the side rails and cross bars? What are the good aftermarket brands? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you begin, you should know that the maximum weight on the crossbars is 100 pounds without the moonroof.
The side rails changed with the 2016 Explorer refresh so crossbars from the pre 2016 models will not fit the 2016+ units.
There are several existing threads on cargo carriers.

Peter

Before you begin, you should know that the maximum weight on the crossbars is 100 pounds without the moonroof.
The side rails changed with the 2016 Explorer refresh so crossbars from the pre 2016 models will not fit the 2016+ units.
There are several existing threads on cargo carriers.

Peter
Thanks Peter for the response. I did read a few of the old threads, particularly the ones you had replies. The link you gave on ford.com has this

I am not sure if it's the right one as you can see in the attached photo that my racks are super low, not as shown raised on ford.com. Will the cross bars be good enough, or shall I install a pair of racks then the cross bars? Regards,

20221107_102324.jpg

Thanks Peter for the response. I did read a few of the old threads, particularly the ones you had replies. The link you gave on ford.com has this

I am not sure if it's the right one as you can see in the attached photo that my racks are super low, not as shown raised on ford.com. Will the cross bars be good enough, or shall I install a pair of racks then the cross bars? Regards,

View attachment 436259
i think ya need to install the rails first to get crossbars on, and following crossbars, then you cn add the basket

i think ya need to install the rails first to get crossbars on, and following crossbars, then you cn add the basket
Great, so I do need the rails. I'll search that and hopefully find a brand having both the rails and the cross bars so they can match, and the cross bars have an aerodynamic shape. Thanks!

View attachment 436259
Those are not 'rails'. That is what is used to fill the gap where the rails mount. It is similar to the pictures I've seen here where members removed the rails and added those black pieces.
Check out this thread; Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Peter

Those are not 'rails'. That is what is used to fill the gap where the rails mount. It is similar to the pictures I've seen here where members removed the rails and added those black pieces.
Check out this thread; Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Peter
An interesting read - they were doing something reversive to what I am trying to do... That's where "to each one’s own" fits. :laugh:

The PIU has some different designs vs consumer version of Explorer. The roof rack is one of them I suppose. I am digging...

Thank you all for the invaluable info! Really appreciate it.

Back