Roof light rack, basket help??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof light rack, basket help???

thats a pretty sweet rack....just curious what are you guys doing for wirring discos?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i might have to do that to mine...mine is short on width to make it to the tracks also...as long as that will support the basket and a 35 to and from the trail,i can throw the 35 inside when i unload...anybody??? :scratch:

...for quick disco's i run bullets...basically a male and female connector with a plastic covering...most auto parts stores carry them...:D

Tbars, do you want one of those safari racks? i just pulled the ol' stick welder outta the garage, and some square stock is easy to come by, and we could just put light tabs right on it.....

...thanks, but i got a little somethin somethin that got bent up a little from a neighbor...i'm just trying to make it work cheaply...as long as the roof rack should hold it and a 35, it will get a maiden run to truckhaven...:D

cool. i'm gonna build one anyway, and if it works out, maybe i'll just crank them out for guys (and girls) on here....

thats a pretty sweet rack....just curious what are you guys doing for wirring discos?.

Mine appears to be wired solid end to end and even has a hole drilled in the roof where the wiring goes through:rolleyes: Even tho i gotta figure out why one set is not working now.:(

I had some trouble with one of my roof light sets(i have them on two separate switches) and it was the ground every time....they are good to go now. I also ran mine through the roof, originally i snaked it through the back hatch and it needed like 17ft of wire. With it through the roof it's like 6 or 8 feet. But you should really think about doing discos for the wiring, i have needed to cut the wiring a couple times to get my roof rack off....saudering it back together isn't very fun.

tbars, did you decide on your rack mounting. Im back in town for a few days. I'll be at the Irvine Spectrum Sat about 4pm (college football with the alumni) if you still want to see how mines mounted for ideas.

I had some lights on my factory rack for awhile. For electric discos, I used a flat-4 style trailer wiring connector(used 2 for ground and 2 for power). It worked pretty well, and it was pretty watertight :thumbsup:
2063841_63_full.jpg

I have since moved the lights down to the push bumper.

I picked up the Yakima load warrior from the dealer, originally put it on my 96 but really didn't look right so I switched it to my 95. Just need to figure a way to put on my lights.

Tim

...joecrna, darnit, i am buried with work this week but i will see what i could do next week...

...kert0307, that 4plug idea is great, i have done that on a few projects and never a problem...btw, nice job on the light wiring...;)

...joecrna, let me know if you are going to be in the o.c. in the near future...i would really like to look at thos mounts and see if they will work...:D

In town Mon night, then not until Holloween.

...i will be in long beach monday and back at my shop at about 5 i think...any chance you can post some picks of how they mount to your basket, and to your rails??? i actually think i might not get this done before truckhaven...to many other projects to finish...;)

If Im ever around long enough to go elite I could post pics. Monday night at or near your shop might work. Sorry, just remembered my girlfriend has her truck and won't be down until near Holloween. Let me call and check our scheduels. Maybe I'll get time to go elite, seems quicker.

...go elite but you can also email them to me...:D

Back