Roof rack build progress.. any suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack build progress.. any suggestions?

rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
The roof on my '93 has been rusting out where the bolts for the stock (i assume it was stock anyway) Roof rack were. Also, due to the holes, it was leaking pretty badly when it rains.. now being a California car there is zero rust anywhere else... so this rust problem is kind of annoying!! a while back i tried bondo on the holes but that didn't work so well as it kept rusting out below the bondo.. the headliner was destroyed from water damage so i pulled it out for replacment, and while it's out i'm cutting out the rust spots and welding in new steel... heres a couple pics of the damaged parts (after removal of the bondo, and some wire brushing)

0601001142.jpg

anyway to the point, the stock roof rack is pretty light duty and about worthless for anything i'd ever use it for, so i'm in the process of building a more heavy duty (and removable) roof rack.. and i'm looking for input on ideas here! i'd like it to be able to cary a decent amount of weight (say a couple of sheets of plywood, or an upside-down desk, or something.. basically anything that wont fit in the back), and have removable posts in the corner so it doubles as a ladder rack. (yet can still go "flat" so something can sit on it) i've built this basic frame.. which isn't finished i guess... but it seems really ugly.. so i was wondering what other's have done in terms of a custom (heavy duty) rack?

here's my current model, as it stands now. it's just made from 3/4" square tubing, and i put some thicker metal pads on the roof where it's going to bolt down somehow (although a good attachment system is still evading me)
0604001629.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first things first, if you want that rack to hold more weight you have to spread the load out significantly. so add a few more vertical supports.

Weld two over-sized pieces of square tubing so they lay flush with the lowest part of your rack to maximize your flat surface area. Then drill holes horizontally through these and they'll serve as your ladder support system. then build your traditional ladder rack, and with holes drilled through the bottom of the "legs" you'll have a removable L.R.

best of luck on this Sunday morning

MayJan posted some pics from his interior rebuild and there is one partial shot of the interior roof superstructure. It might be helpful to know the load bearing points as there are several spars across the top. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2468045
Maybe MayJan has a more complete pic of the interior roof?

MayJan posted some pics from his interior rebuild and there is one partial shot of the interior roof superstructure. It might be helpful to know the load bearing points as there are several spars across the top. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2468045
Maybe MayJan has a more complete pic of the interior roof?

That's a good idea tying the rack's mounting points into the roofs bracing. I don't need pics for that though, as i currently have the headliner out and much of the interior disassembled. i'm sort of doing an over-haul of some cosmetic stuff on the X during summer.. basically fixing the leak, improving the roof rack, and then replacing/repairing all the water damaged stuff from the leak, such as the headliner.

btw, does anybody know if it's possible to buy a new headliner? (at a reasonable price)

Back