SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread) | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread)

id register if i have the cash layin around but with holidays im strapped soo prolley in january ill register and request off =]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

btw dan first time you had a piece of truck ripped off by a stump also =D

dan its not so much stealing ideas, its putting the trials and tribulations ive gone through in the last 4 years and 27 pages to use

someone has to benefit from all this

Plus it makes a good read. I'm planning out what I want my end goal to be with the green truck. I'm aiming for 33's, 4.10's and a rear locker. Just bordering between DD and offroader. I figure if I could get a rear axle from a second gen and a front axle from a ranger (2.9L 90-92 I think) I could cut down some regearing costs.

Plus it makes a good read. I'm planning out what I want my end goal to be with the green truck. I'm aiming for 33's, 4.10's and a rear locker. Just bordering between DD and offroader. I figure if I could get a rear axle from a second gen and a front axle from a ranger (2.9L 90-92 I think) I could cut down some regearing costs.

Got a 2nd Gen 8.8 open with 4.10's in my storage unit that I've had up for sale for a few months now... hint hint ;)

thats no lie either. that and you toss spas in there, and you have the three stooges! :D

:D

I somehow missed that whole last page. I'm is a slacker :p:

Two more weeks until the Carlisle thread starts!

i just made jen get up and walk over here to show her that. she dosnt beleive how into this we get

woot woot cant wait gonna be sick, you bringin your candian ass down again?

woot woot cant wait gonna be sick, you bringin your candian ass down again?

dam straits i am. i don't care if i have to sell some vital body organs to get there either! if I'm also lucky, evil might even look a little different to.

sweet maybe another prize too haha and pre pre-carlisle excitment starts when last years ends =p

whos registerd for next years carlisle, its meeee, its meee....

TRS said:
The Dana 28 was replaced in 1990 with the Dana 35 TTB as Ford introduced the 4.0L engine to replace the 2.9L. The Dana 28 didn't completely go away though. A version of it found its way in to the 1990 - 1997 Ford Aerostar AWD mini-vans. It also found it's way back in to the 4-cylinder (and some 3.0L V6) Ford Rangers from 1993 - 1997. The 1993 - 1997 Rangers can be deceiving. Some owners believe because they have a 1990 or newer Ranger that they have a Dana 35. Although their 1993 - 1997 4-cylinder Ranger may look like it has a Dana 35, it's really a Dana 35 housing using Dana 28 components.

and today was alignment day among other things. Had H.P. to myself. installed a blue tooth dohiccky in sis's corolla. took a look at someone elses door handles then finally got to work on my rig... see what happens when i have a day off... theres no off... anywho...

im gonna post a bit indepth on this one. i feel not enough people understand alignments. by no means is this a how to. The goal here is to get 0* camber 0* toe and leave the caster where it falls. IMO zeroing out the camber and toe is the most important thing on the ttb. since caster comes and goes with the adjustment of toe i cant be all that picky on that one.

i got some dollar store cutting boards to use as the slip plates. bought 4, stacked 2 under each front wheel. it worked out really well actually...
166407_1794823552361_1292876913_32166060_3282547_n.jpg

Im gettin really good at swapin out the camber adjusters with the truck on the ground.... go me!
156887_1794814712140_1292876913_32166031_3272761_n.jpg

setting camber... well atleast attempting to...
165132_1794815912170_1292876913_32166034_3275504_n.jpg

setting toe
156990_1794816632188_1292876913_32166036_6379781_n.jpg

now keep in mind this is a trail truck, and everytime i wheel it seems to be knocked out of wack. the camber on the l/s is pretty much 0* with a 3* adjuster set to max negative. the r/s however is stuck at a few degrees positive. that side has a 3* adjuster as well, but im just out of adjustment on that side. the r's has always been a prob alining actually. the new springs push it over the edge though. mabu if they settle in abit itll be better but itll do for now

woah computerized alignment? very nice

Thanks for that tidbit Jay. I decided I'll just regear the existing diff since it'll already be off for fixing the axle. 4.56 is my final answer. I can't wait to get home so I can register! I already have a tingly feeling in my nether regions!

welp tonight i atempted a mod stolen from Spdrcer34

i know this stuff works for 5.0 guys, and stangs and what not

for anyone whos unfamilir with the thinking here ill elaborate for a second. our little 4.0L OHV makes 155 HP @ 4200 RPM and 220 ft/lbs @ 2400 RPM , wich is decent, but it peaks above where you typically are during wheeling. An intake manifold spacer lengthens the runners and should see an increase in tourque, not in its peak, but itll get you to that point sooner.

to quote JDraper
I put one in on my Mach 1, and we dyno'd before and after. You most likely won't see any gains in either the max hp or max torque #'s, but what they really do is fatten the torque curve. The make the intake runners slightly longer, which helps the low end torque. When we installed the intake manifold spacer in my Mach, I crossed the 300 ft-lb level 600 rpms earlier than I did without the spacer, and it didn't affect the top end, so it effectively expanded my power band.

Ill take a wider power band any day.
That and i had a pair of spare fuel rails, so i figured it was worth a shot :D

all prettied up and read for install
163953_1821843627846_1292876913_32239862_3776797_n.jpg

i Lso used a latter model thick style OHV gasket between the fuel rail and the spacer to try and insulate the spacer and thus the intake from the head of the block and heads. weather or not thatd work i dont know, but it was a left over from a job my co worker did so it was a freebie. as we all know a colder air charge is a good thing.

163133_1821850508018_1292876913_32239896_6755543_n.jpg

166855_1821852228061_1292876913_32239903_4499207_n.jpg

and now for the results... well realistically who knows.
the but dyno seemed to like it, but then again i could just be giving it a bit more gas then i normally do to appease said but dyno. it did feel like it pulled sooner though, but there again thats all subjective

the one thing i do know is the exhaust note changed. it has a deeper tone then it did before. since i put the dynomax on i havent really heard it, now i hear it a lil more, so in theory from that it must have done something

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that just a second rail on your first cause ive got a rail in my shed =o

Back