4x4 91' Eddie Bauer Build Progress - Questions - Pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 91' Eddie Bauer Build Progress - Questions - Pictures

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91-EXPLR-EdBaur4.0/6cyl
Hey guys, I bought a 1991 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) about 4 months ago and have been slowly making progress. I am new to working on cars, but have been learning lots along the way. I have learned so much already about this vehicle picking over numerous threads that have been posted. I will include as many pictures as possible during the process as well. My name is Mitch and I'm currently in my senior year studying GeoPhysics at UNR in Reno, NV.

I am making this thread to display work that I have done with specifics for future builds. I am also going to use this thread to ask questions as I make progress to help the build move along smoothly!

I would also love to hear suggestions or answer any questions I can through messages or on the thread!

Brief Vehicle History:
Bought in August 2020 from a woman who's husband passed away. He was the original owner, and lived in Tahoe for the past 15 years. Due to heavy snowfall and driving on road salt, there were some rust problems on the underbody of the EX. The car had 171,000 miles and didn't have any blaring issues besides some rust and being very dirty from sitting for about a year. Overall it wasn't in the best shape, but pretty decent for a 30 year old SUV. I bought this vehicle for $1800 which seemed to be a good price for something with 4x4 that I could slowly fix up and turn into a reliable off roader.

Goals for the EX

The main goal is to build a reliable off roader that will grant me access to the mountain tops and basins of Nevada. I have no intention of hard core rock crawling or going excessively fast off road. Just want to bullet proof the design and in time upgrade the suspension, and outfit it for overlanding.

Things that I have done so far..
1) The alternator went out shortly after purchasing, pulled one at the PicknPull, works great. ($30)
2) Some of the electronics were not working properly (Rear Window Defrost, Horn). I took them apart and there was corrosion that I cleaned up and since they have worked flawlessly. ($Free)
3) The exhaust and muffler were rusted through. There were holes in both so I had the exhaust done by a shop all the way back from the catalytic converter. ($200)
4) I bought some cheap amber running lights to mount in the grille, similar to what newer Ford Raptor's have. ($25)
5) I was having serious problems with the brakes. The ABS light was on, they were locking prematurely, and I was losing brake fluid like crazy. I finally pinpointed that the culprit was the ABS valve if I remember correctly. It is just above the frame on the driver side I believe and after replacing with a new part have had no further issues with the brakes, and no loss of fluid! ($200)
6) the original tires were 15 years old and on the driver side the sidewalls were beginning to crack. After about 3 months of daily driving I noticed one day that one tire felt very low. I took the vehicle into a tire shop and bought some Kendra Klever 31" Tires. I kept the stock rims. There was slight rub with wheel turned all the way but was easily fixed by filing down the plastic air damn under the bumper. ($600)
7) I removed the plastic air damn under the bumper to allow the tires more room if needed and I like the look more. ($Free)
8) I removed the ball on the rear bumper for towing and replaced with a simple flag mount system. It is easily removed and swapped with the original ball if I need to tow a small trailer one day. ($15)

*** I Apologize in advance if you don't agree with the flags I put on my EX, I drive with them on and don't want to take the time to remove for every picture.. ***

The day I bought the EX :)

IMG_3723.jpeg
IMG_3725.jpeg
IMG_3726.jpeg

After installing amber grille running lights. (12V)
This was a fairly easy task. I ran the positive and negative lights through a hole I drilled in the firewall just to the upper left of where the brake peddle is. I then ran under the lip of the panel under the steering wheel to the directly under the stereo. I sobered the positive and negative to a cigarette 12V cigarette lighter and when I drive all I do is plug in the cigarette lighter in and they turn on. I taped the headlights with electrical tape to mimic my favorite rally car driver (Ken Block) who exclusively drives fords so it seemed fitting! These amber lights are very bright. The pictures don't do justice but they are far brighter than the amber running lights under the headlights.

DAF9182F-07B0-4349-9C44-8CB6FD80B436.JPG
4484C433-FDCE-42D2-86A3-C9CC5F2819B2.JPG
0DA6B037-AEEB-459C-AFA2-4AA5AFB2B781.JPG

After installing new 31" Tires.
Kept the stock rims. The shop warned they would not fit without rubbing. The only rub I experienced was at full rotation with the plastic air dam under the bumper. I cut off about an inch and have not had any further rubbing. I went with Kendra Klevers. Note, these are mud terrain and they will cause your Ex to pull with the angle of the road. I thought at first it was causing the vehicle to pull to the right so I marked with tape to see how much I had to correct with the wheel and then drove on the left side of the road. I marked with tape and they were equal, so not ideal for driving on the street (I don't mind it), however makes all the difference off road.
** I also swapped the front tires and rear tires from side to side to see if it affected the pulling before driving on the other side of the road. No difference whatsoever. They also seem to pull more when slowing down, less when accelerating. Not sure why this is but just something I noticed.

IMG_4071.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg
IMG_4077.jpeg

Interior Pics
The interior was in pretty great shape when I bought it, just filthy. I deep cleaned everything and aside from the speakers being **** and the door panels needing a bit of work, it cleaned up great! you can also see the switch that I have put in for the amber running lights in the grille, they are now hooked into a module that has buttons to control what is on or off. I also bought some cheap seat covers just because I'm sometimes pretty dirty after camping or shooting, but the seats underneath are in almost new condition.

185EBAC4-7166-4BB6-84AE-37385B18586C.JPG
58F2AFBF-0357-4C3F-AFA4-1DDAEBEE46FE.JPG

Off-road pics so far..
You can see that I'm still getting great movement with the tires with no rub with no lift and 31" tires. Impressed with the capabilities of this EX. It has gotten me virtually everywhere I have taken it. Uphill on loose rock, approx 40 degree inclines with absolutely no problems. I just take it slow, no need to break parts on the trail IMO.

IMG_4126.jpeg
IMG_4146.jpeg
IMG_4111.jpeg
IMG_4110.jpeg
IMG_4107.jpeg
IMG_4106.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpeg

This is a work in progress, so stay tuned and I will add more pictures and descriptions as I go! Most of the stuff I've done so far wasn't too crazy. Upgrading the suspension etc should be much more exciting.
Thanks for any comments and suggestions!!
-Mitch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the next project I have planned out for the Ex is to paint the undercarriage and the exterior. I have done a fair amount of research and I am planing on using Raptor liner with a spray gun to paint the exterior. Below is my plan.

Going to pull the Ex into the garage and begin taking off as much as possible to paint. I am going to sand down the entire body and fill in a couple imperfections with some bondo. I want to spray black raptor liner on the roof, the front and rear bumper, grille, and the plastic between the windows. I am also going to shoot everything that is beige around the wheels and on the sides in black. The rest will be done in a light brown to match the interior. I know it's going to take a lot of prep to make it turn out nice so I'm guessing it will take me close to a month to get everything sanded down and prepped to shoot. I'm also going to shoot the rims black. Does anyone know anything about the rubber trim around the windows? I would like to replace them all in this process, if that isn't feasible I will likely shoot the trim around the back windows with black raptor liner. There is a couple very minor leaks I've noticed when pressure washing the vehicle, hopefully this would fill them in? I'm planning on shooting over any bare metal or minor rust with a rust converter primer just so that the raptor liner isn't adhering to bare metal. I've heard if you don't do this that the rust can continue under the raptor liner and make it bubble after a couple years.

Another project for the winter will be to replace the headliner. I am thinking of going with a pattern. I've seen on Youtube people using fleece fabric, the whole process seems pretty simple and I think as long as I don't rush it will turn out very nice.

The final project for the winter will then be to deep clean the undercarriage and remove any surface rust. I'm planning on shooting everything with a rust converter followed by gloss black.

It's going to be a hell of a project I already know, but the results I've seen from people seem to all be in the prep. I'm not going to rush and really make sure I take my time. I'm confident I can get a nice even coat on with the raptor liner, I've painted a lot of different stuff in my life and we actually used to use it at a sign shop I worked at to give a stucco finish to signs. I'll keep everyone posted, but after the cosmetic stuff is done on the body I am planning on tackling the suspension. I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle or worked with suspensions but I am going to go for a 1.5-2" lift. Nothing crazy. Seems the best way to do this is to get extended 2" shackles in the rear, and longer springs in the front? I want to replace all my shocks at this time too and am leaning towards Bilstein. It is my understanding that you don't need longer shocks with a 2" lift, but if I were to get shocks that are 2" longer than stock, wouldn't this give a little more travel and improve the ride? I don't plan on hitting anything too hard so I would rather lean towards a soft suspension than stiff. Also with the extended shackles do I need to get different leaf springs? Mine are starting to scale and wouldn't be opposed to throwing some new ones on if anyone has recommendations. After I get the body work done and paint everything I'll put up a more detailed idea as far as suspension goes!

Attached below is basically the finish I'd be going for on the EX with raptor liner. The only main difference is the plastic on the bottom of the door would be painted black as well.
MfSnNatl.jpg

How is it that I have a 91 explorer (Eddie Bauer)been all around Reno tahoe ECT building it always lol makes me feel like I'm not the only 1...the 4x4 works so frigging good after a blizzard my managers couldn't believe I drove my truck plowing 4 feet of snow uphill lol 4 low with chains on 31s I was flyin over snow drifts so fun..

How is it that I have a 91 explorer (Eddie Bauer)been all around Reno tahoe ECT building it always lol makes me feel like I'm not the only 1...the 4x4 works so frigging good after a blizzard my managers couldn't believe I drove my truck plowing 4 feet of snow uphill lol 4 low with chains on 31s I was flyin over snow drifts so fun..
I totally agree, it handles the trails around here with no problems. I'm excited to see what it can do in the snow, my daily driver is a 2013 Jetta FWD and it's going to be nice for once not having to worry about snow. We'll have to go out and hit some trails some time, I'm sure you've found some pretty good spots around Northern Nevada and Tahoe! Not sure why the first gen explorers aren't more popular than they are..

I totally agree, it handles the trails around here with no problems. I'm excited to see what it can do in the snow, my daily driver is a 2013 Jetta FWD and it's going to be nice for once not having to worry about snow. We'll have to go out and hit some trails some time, I'm sure you've found some pretty good spots around Northern Nevada and Tahoe! Not sure why the first gen explorers aren't more popular than they are..
Yea I live in southern California now but north lake tahoe area look up the rubicon trail... It's Pismo Beach down hereThats the spot but alot of areas I wouldn't even try don't want to roll Just a little advice tho not very good abs on these they go forward real good but as soon as I tap the brakes the truck goes into ski mode lol I found it best to keep 4x4 locked in and tap tap tap on the brakes. And go with wire chains not the heavy duty links. I broke like 3 sets b4 I switched to cable that set lasted all winter never came off.

I'm taking the tint off now lol that looks great

So the next project I have planned out for the Ex is to paint the undercarriage and the exterior. I have done a fair amount of research and I am planing on using Raptor liner with a spray gun to paint the exterior. Below is my plan.

Going to pull the Ex into the garage and begin taking off as much as possible to paint. I am going to sand down the entire body and fill in a couple imperfections with some bondo. I want to spray black raptor liner on the roof, the front and rear bumper, grille, and the plastic between the windows. I am also going to shoot everything that is beige around the wheels and on the sides in black. The rest will be done in a light brown to match the interior. I know it's going to take a lot of prep to make it turn out nice so I'm guessing it will take me close to a month to get everything sanded down and prepped to shoot. I'm also going to shoot the rims black. Does anyone know anything about the rubber trim around the windows? I would like to replace them all in this process, if that isn't feasible I will likely shoot the trim around the back windows with black raptor liner. There is a couple very minor leaks I've noticed when pressure washing the vehicle, hopefully this would fill them in? I'm planning on shooting over any bare metal or minor rust with a rust converter primer just so that the raptor liner isn't adhering to bare metal. I've heard if you don't do this that the rust can continue under the raptor liner and make it bubble after a couple years.

Another project for the winter will be to replace the headliner. I am thinking of going with a pattern. I've seen on Youtube people using fleece fabric, the whole process seems pretty simple and I think as long as I don't rush it will turn out very nice.

The final project for the winter will then be to deep clean the undercarriage and remove any surface rust. I'm planning on shooting everything with a rust converter followed by gloss black.

It's going to be a hell of a project I already know, but the results I've seen from people seem to all be in the prep. I'm not going to rush and really make sure I take my time. I'm confident I can get a nice even coat on with the raptor liner, I've painted a lot of different stuff in my life and we actually used to use it at a sign shop I worked at to give a stucco finish to signs. I'll keep everyone posted, but after the cosmetic stuff is done on the body I am planning on tackling the suspension. I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle or worked with suspensions but I am going to go for a 1.5-2" lift. Nothing crazy. Seems the best way to do this is to get extended 2" shackles in the rear, and longer springs in the front? I want to replace all my shocks at this time too and am leaning towards Bilstein. It is my understanding that you don't need longer shocks with a 2" lift, but if I were to get shocks that are 2" longer than stock, wouldn't this give a little more travel and improve the ride? I don't plan on hitting anything too hard so I would rather lean towards a soft suspension than stiff. Also with the extended shackles do I need to get different leaf springs? Mine are starting to scale and wouldn't be opposed to throwing some new ones on if anyone has recommendations. After I get the body work done and paint everything I'll put up a more detailed idea as far as suspension goes!

Attached below is basically the finish I'd be going for on the EX with raptor liner. The only main difference is the plastic on the bottom of the door would be painted black as well.
View attachment 324306
I had another explorer with a rhino liner paint job....omg what a nightmare it chipped faded cracked daily after the first 6 months...impossible to remove that's the only reason it had to go....so I stripped everything and had to let that one go to explorer heaven...tear

If everyone knew how capable these first gens were, they'd be going for a pretty penny. I'm glad they're a bit underrated so when someone does see it in action, they're amazed at their abilities, off-roading. It's also very comfy to drive. Plus, a well maintained unit is EXTREMELY reliable. Reliability doesn't go hand in hand always with older vehicles, however they simply are, and made well. Glad you're taking the time and resources to "save" an older gen from becoming another casualty in some junk yard or something.

These things rock. Enjoy yours and use the info from these folks on this board, they've been there done that.

I wish my paint was that nice. Don't bedline dude!

Bed liner only fails if:

1. You use cheap bedliner.
2. Your prep work isn’t good.

@410Fortune how reliable/durable/economical is the “bedliner” you’ve applied to vehicles?

Rhinolined that 15 years ago. It’s probably all that’s still good under there.

F93964C1-6FD7-4D90-8BD8-B7241CEEC790.jpeg

RIP.

*** I Apologize in advance if you don't agree with the flags I put on my EX, I drive with them on and don't want to take the time to remove for every picture.. ***
Never apologize for your beliefs, this is America, Land of the Free.
The people who would have you apologize do not believe in Freedom.
End of rant, and stepping from the soapbox.

Keep up the good work!

I LOVE MY MONSTALINER
Serisouly dude this stuff is *****in
Have not waxed truck since
dont care about all the scrub oak/shrubs/sticks I drive against every day...all the way down the sides of the trucks, who cares! Wont hurt the monstaliner
Snow and ice slide right off the monstaliner
It has held up awesome, and it can be painted over and also fixed.
I will be cleaning, prepping and re coating my entire BII very soon, right now my drivers door is blue (long story) and I put on fiberglass bedsides that are white, I also fixed much rust on the body, so in the spring I will be ordering another two gallon kit of ML and re doing the whole truck
$350 paint job
I have coated 5 trucks
all of them still on the road
I love it
I plan to do my F350 cab in white next summer also

Wifes FJ was yellow in 2007, we changed it to forest green Monstaliner
Darth ranger the 84 on the left, was originally Herculiner, we sanded all of that off, put heavy coats of primer then re coated with black monstaliner
My 88 BII in the middle done entirely in desert sand
I haver done 4 door explorers as well
All with the 2 gallon kit

171_191432_330000000.jpg

171_191443_000000004.jpg

171_201713_010000001.jpg

I will also be ordering some more Desert Sand Monstaliner for my BII, some Chassis Saver (same company) I keep it in the shop as well as some black Monstaliner for my BII trim work......

Check it out, got a light bar and roof rack mounted. Uploaded a video on youtube of some fun after a snow storm, thought you guys might want to check it out! Brought out my love for some drifting!

I'll post pictures soon showing how I mounted everything new on the explorer, I also have the interior in near perfect shape with just the headliner to go. Should be done pretty soon on getting the interior all finished up after that, need to weld up a box for all my electrical stuff to get that organized as well but that isn't too important yet.

Back