• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack help, please!

MLB2Night

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
i'm looking into getting a roof rack for the purpose of holding my spare tire and then some other stuff when i go to the beach (chairs, boogie boards perhaps). I'm pretty sure i want the Safari rack. does this slide into the factory roof rack tracks? where can i get this for the cheapest? keep in mind i'll also be getting the spare tire holder and the light brackets, for rear lights. or... am i wasting my time and there's something better? any advice appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have roofracks, but they work for rain gutters, so they dont work to well on my explorer. they wont hold crap. so i would like to get a safari rack too. where can we get them for cheap?

SURCO SAFARI RACK... Performance Products

That is where I got mine. I have the spare tire holder and the light brackets(for my backup lights). It will slide right into your stock rails and then you screw it down. You even have room for one stock cross member if you want. Check out the pics in my SIG. I have pics of the rack and of the light brackets.

Do a search for roof rack and you'll find one that's made out of metal. That's the one to get, very sturdy and can hold more than your roof could handle.

I have the aluminum rack (I think it's Surco also) and don't like it because it's not as solid and tight as the steel rack.

??????? Not sturdy ???????

Originally posted by kvo
I have the aluminum rack (I think it's Surco also) and don't like it because it's not as solid and tight as the steel rack.

I have never had a problem with mine not being sturdy or tight. I've had mine for 8 months or so and I carried my 31" BFG up there for 6 months with two offroad trips and one mud bogg during that time. I hit the rack three or four times while at Attica on low trees and the thing is still tight and it didn't even dent it. Eric has one on his 97 Sport and he also has the tire carrier and lights and has had his for more than a year with on problems either. IMO it is a great rack and is a lot lighter than a steel one. I guess it is all about preference.

I also have the safari rack from performance products. I love it and have never had a problem with it not being sturdy or anything of that sort. I go camping quite often and to the beach so I use mine all the time for chairs and boards and stuff like that. I have had mine for almost 2 years now. Mine is the aluminum too.

I had all of that on my rack also (lights, spare, Hi-Lift, etc.) and it held w/o any problems and yes, I have gone wheeling with it and hit branches, etc and did not have any problems. I'm comparing it to the sturdiness of the Con-Ferr rack. The Con-Ferr is much much more sturdier than the Surco and it's also wider. If I were to buy another rack, I'd buy the Con-Ferr rack over the Surco.

Another option is the Yakima rack/basket. Don't know the exact name but it's also made out of steel with the black protective material and it could be mounted directly to your existing roof rack bars.

I also own a Surco Roof Rack.

And I love it!!! I've had it a couple of weeks now

45X60 is PLENTY big enough for me....

(Bought it from someone advertising it on THIS message board!) and have been busy getting it ready for lights and wiring!!!!

I think the weight of a steel one would play hell with the track brackets. I won't have a spare tire up there, either, so I guess I can't really crap on the steel one's too much....he he

I would buy another Surco Safari Rack without hesitation!

Jim

im real interested in the SURCO. I went to performance products website, but i cant seem to find one. can someone help me out where it is?

Back