Roof rack recommendations?

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I need a rack for cargo and for a full size spare. I like to sleep in the back of the X when camping and im tired of moving everything to the front seats for the night. A roof rack woudl be great but they are all so expensive. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome! Much more affordable :)

roof racks

Heres another,,,

http://store.summitracing.com/

sur-s4050_m.jpg

SUR-S4560 $156.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today
Application Show All

Brand: Surco Products, Inc.
Product Line: Surco Safari Basket Racks
Adapters Included: No
Adapters Required: Yes
Length (in): 60.000
Width (in): 45.000
Height (in): 5.000
Roof Rack Material: Aluminum
Roof Rack Finish: Black anodized
Quantity: Sold individually.

Roof Rack, Aluminum, Black Anodized, 5 in. Tall, 45 in. Wide, 60 in. Long, Each

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Increase the versatility of your pickup or SUV.
These Surco Safari basket racks mount to your factory roof rack, multi-rack system, or rain gutters, and allow you to store cargo more securely. Features include durable 3/4 in. square aluminum tubing construction, a black powdercoat finish, a sturdy aluminum floor, and an easy installation with no drilling required.

Additional Info (2)

(2) The part has an additional shipping charge.

And dont forget these

sur-ch100_m.jpg

SUR-CH100 $39.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today
Application Show All

Brand: Surco Products, Inc.
Product Line: Surco Safari Basket Rack Installation Accessories
Roof Rack Adapter Mounting Style: Clamp on
Roof Rack Adapter Material: Steel
Roof Rack Adapter Finish: Black powdercoated
Quantity: Sold as a kit.

Roof Rack Adapter, Safari Basket, Steel, Black, Clamp On, Kit

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Everything you need to install or accessorize your Safari rack.
Surco has paved the way to trouble free basket rack installation for you with this comprehensive array of accessories. These accessories cover everything from ski, bike, and tire carriers to mounting adapters and everything in between.

Back to My Garage

Back to Search Results

Also ask yourself do you really want to put a full size spare on your roof. One issue with that is that your center of gravity goes up...ALOT. The second one is have you ever tried to lift a full size spare w/ wheel above your head? They arent light. Now try taking it off your roof, on a trail, off camber, and wet... Its not an easy task, then reverse that to get your flat tire back up on the roof once youve changed them out... Its up to you, but if it were me i would put the spare as low as possible.

I say hang that sucker off the bumper on a swing away or flip down stlye mount..

trucku said:
I say hang that sucker off the bumper on a swing away or flip down stlye mount..

yea im gonna fab up a swing away setup on the rear bumper. But i still want lots of storage space up top :D

Just so you dont learn like I did.
The rear hatch does not have a inside release.
Meaning, do not load the front seats full of gear and stuff, and the then get into the back and close the door. Like I did :(

Just plan ahead.

inh said:
yea im gonna fab up a swing away setup on the rear bumper. But i still want lots of storage space up top :D

Kewl...It would be kewl to have a roof rack that can be easily removed when your not trailing. That way you don't kill your gas mileage all the time
:thumbsup:

Oh thats a good deal. I wish they had the 45x60 incher though :/

I don't like the mounting brackets that comes with the Surco's. It stick up too high IMO. I'll make my own when I do buy a roof rack. But my vote goes to the Surco rack. :thumbsup:

You cant go wrong with Surco, I love mine. And they arent to expensive at all.

Back