• Register Today It's free!

5.0 upgrading cam recommendations

Kingfish999

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 F250 w/ Explorer 5.0
hi guys, not gonna lie this is actually in a 90 F250 that i swapped a 98 Explorer 5.0 and 4R70W into. to do the swap im running a 96 PCM to get around anti-theft. Im gonna be swapping the intake manifold soon to the earlier GT40 with internal EGR and now im deciding if i go further and get some power.

i figuered at least a couple intake bolts are gonna break off in the heads anyways so im probably gonna pull the heads and get them machined and upgrade the valvesprings since there the P heads. i also was thinking maybe it might be worth it to swap in a bigger cam while im at it. anyone recommend a nice cam?

truck is a 1990 F250 2WD so its pretty heavy. but its got 4.10 gears and sitting on 33" tires so it lets the engine rev pretty easilly. its got long tube headers going to 2" true dual exhaust. i have no idea what the stall speed is of the tranny and i dont really know the specs of the Explorer 5.0s so was wondering if you guys could help me decide

also is it worth putting larger exhaust valves in the P heads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

went ahead and ordered a TFS Stage 1 cam that i see alot of people use with there Explorer engines. also a set of new valve springs. went ahread and started tearing the engine down to shortblock today. i have no idea how to set base timing on this is the only thing im worried about. jsut gonna have to mark it i guess beforei pull it

12096510_10206024845112998_5665806026569536590_n.jpg

I've been playing with the simulation dyno and I like the power/torque curve from the Comp Cams XE264 hydraulic roller.

there Hedman Headers for a 80-96 4x4 F-series/Bronco. got them on Craigslist for 100$ and they work decent with the P heads. jsut have to modify some coil wires to be shorter, wrap the exhaust on a few pipes and wires and they worked without any hammering. without the wrap there was alot of arching going on tho. but they come away from the block enough thats makes them work pretty good

12108930_10206024844872992_5387019895854743909_n.jpg

sorry again for not being on subject of your tread, but what all is done to the truck? i am asking because TMH headers are tight in our trucks, and these look to fit rather nicely.

well remember that this is an 1990 F250, not an Explorer. i just swapped an Explorer motor and tranny into it which is why i was asking about a cam swap in an Explorer forum. the truck is designed to have a 7.3 diesel or 7.5 460 big block so i would hope a compacted Explorer 5.0 would fit and have alot of room lol. i have no idea how you guys can stand working in such a small space. ive pulled quite a few sets of GT40 heads from the junkyard and it kills me each time

p82a02431.jpg

p82a03411.jpg

the truck originally came with a small 302 and AOD tranny that both were blown when given to me. a friend called saying he knew of a rolled 2wd Explorer 5.0 that still ran great. so i swapped the engine tranny and EFI system. had alot of small issues but its finally running and pretty badass. the 4R70W being a successor to the AOD with a much better 1st and 2nd gear gives the truck alot of lowend. the Explroer engine with the better EFI and GT40P heads give it alot more power too. all while being more fuel efficient. my friends are scared to race me in there cars cause the lowend is so great

I just got my xe258hr in the mail. Specifically 35-510-8

I'll be installing the cam on Sunday but won't have my springs until next week so it'll be a week or so before I have results.

I went with this cam due to the exhaust bias and the gt40ps needing help on the exhaust side but didn't want to lose too much low end. Hope I chose correctly :)

i had to wait on springs also but i got them thursday so luckily my machine shop was able to get the heads done late Friday. got the engine half assembled this weekend because i got late starts due to delays.

only thing im worried about is the cam syncronizer. not 100% sure how to align it correctly but i havent looked into it yet

i had to wait on springs also but i got them thursday so luckily my machine shop was able to get the heads done late Friday. got the engine half assembled this weekend because i got late starts due to delays.

only thing im worried about is the cam syncronizer. not 100% sure how to align it correctly but i havent looked into it yet

There's a tool. You can buy it from OTC or pretty much anywhere.

ok guys jsut an update, got the engine pretty much together finally. some jackass stole my new and old intake manifolds so i had to go to the junkyard and get one. also he stole my radiator that had my electric fan setup on it. then i had some other delays that slowed my down

anyways i did fire it up a couple times but it was dark so i couldn't really check much but its not really idling very good. i know its for a higher rpm cam (probably much higher than i shoulda chose) but it sounds like a missfire or almost like a valve is not opening because its making a noise on passenger side of engine. however as mid rpms its completly fine. i also noticed that there seems to be alot of blow-by coming out the oil cap when idling but it pretty much stops when mid throttle.

this is the cam im using
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51403001/overview/
this is the valvesprings im using
http://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spring-kit-gt40p-mid-lift-cams-high-output-drop-in-up-to-540-lift/
i had the heads taken to machine shop to get cleaned up, resurfaced, valvejob with new exhaust valves and new valvesprings. everything else is stock. anything i should check?

also is it possibly for the cam synchronize to be 180* off like a distributor?

Back