Roof rack removal questions.. need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack removal questions.. need help

ok I have a 93 explorer without a roof rack.. but its totalled.. so I'm buyin a 94 with a roof rack.. but a roof rack looks retarted cause I'm slammin this one like my 93... so how do I get rid of it.. the easy way.. or the hard way.. lemme see picts.. PLEASE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The roof bars will come off easy, front has two hex screws on each side to take out, rear just slides off, the rails are riveted, and will need to be drilled out then the holes filled. In your last post you said you were taking off the running boards and putting on the skirts, are those running boards factory? And do you want to sell them?

Oops. didn't know it was a sport.

The easy way out is to just remove the cross bars and then take a phillips screwdriver and remove the two outter guide rails. I put my screws back in the holes so not to lose them incase I ever wanna put the rack back on. I also left the center rubber strips on. I am only 5'7" so I can't see the top of the truck any way :)

the rack on my 99 ltd started peeling so until I repaint it, I pulled it. it was easy, 10 philips head scews no drama, went to home depot and bought some set scews put some rtv on them and filled the holes, the oem screw stuck up. I might paint the inserts, but prolly won't bother. weird though, my 99 eb had torx screws instead of philips head. I left it on, it does not have the spoiler like the ltd so it won't look right.

really easy stuff, I'm 6 ft tall and can't stand flat footed and see the black bars in the middle. they don't look too bad any how.

BarberJ said:
...lemme see picts.. PLEASE!
Ask and you shall recieve. In the pic below you can easily see the fasteners used to secure the rails and center ribs. If you're going to do it right you'll need to remove the headliner, remove the side rails and drill out the rivots holding the ribs in place. You'll will then need to weld patches for all the holes, smooth with body filler etc etc.. (this would be MONMIX's area of expertise)
18205104_0422_web.jpg

MONMIX said:
The easy way out is to just remove the cross bars and then take a phillips screwdriver and remove the two outter guide rails. I put my screws back in the holes so not to lose them incase I ever wanna put the rack back on. I also left the center rubber strips on. I am only 5'7" so I can't see the top of the truck any way :)

On my '99, the screws are Torque head ( 25 ), not Phillips.

I put a dab of black RTV on mine when reinstalling. I also left the center ribs in place.

replace the screws with headless ones , set screws, then they don't stick up. I'm going to paint the inserts next.

bdf said:
replace the screws with headless ones , st screws, .

That is a very good idea !!!!!!!!!

they are black, come 2 to a package, i got the 6mm x12mm but any length will work, cant paint tonight, to humid. nice part is if you screw it up you can still just stick the rack back on.

bdf said:
they are black, come 2 to a package, i got the 6mm x12mm but any length will work, cant paint tonight, to humid. nice part is if you screw it up you can still just stick the rack back on.

Can you post a pic of these screws?

Thanks ....

I already put them in with RTV, but just imagine your stock screw with the head cut off and a hex hole in the top of the shaft. they are in the drawers at home depot, just ask for the set screws, thier black and metric, 6mm and you cen get lengths of 3mm to 12mm I think. Mine are 6mm x 12mm. DO NOT GET THE SAE SIZE. they are the wrong pitch and wont go in.` thier silver not black. i have a pic of them installed if anyone needs one,

Thanks for the info; please post the pic of them installed.

I went to Home Depot this morning and got the set screws, removed the existing screws and installed the set screws; looks much better.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 732

hah you even have the same crappy harbor freight T handle I have. I might fill the rest of the holes in with clear silicon so water does not pool.

glad I could help. your lucky with a dark color, the pearl white makes it show up even more.

Aldive can you post a pic of these screws installed. On my roof rack I have a metal washer type thing that sticks out above the rest of the roof.

-Rich

yeah those are the braizons, not much you can do about them unless you want to take them out and refinish your roof. these set screws just go down in the hole where the stock screws stick up above the mounting holes.

Back