Roof Rack Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack Removal

I'm considering "shaving" my roof rack just because I think it would look better without it ;) . I'm just wondering if anybody else has done something similar, and if so, how did they go about filling the holes. Any advice is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shaved roof rack

Don't let anybody fool you, the only way to do it right is to weld up the holes. that means dropping the headliner ( and most of the interior trim) And then repainting the whole top. Rather expensive. You might settle for just pulling the crossarms off. Good luck, Paxton

Have to agree with Paxton,
You just can't plug the holes with a plug because you will get water inside.
You have to take the headliner out which means you take ALL the side plastic off. That also means taking the seat belts off with a tork socket.
Start by taking the crossmembers off and see what you think.
Something else some guys have done is turn the front one around and then run the back one right up to it. That doesn't look to bad either. Just an idea.

By the way Paxton, with all those parts you have down there you would think you would have a beater or two you come use next year at Moab or CCR run.

How much do you think it would cost to have it professionally done?

Originally posted by Hartman
How much do you think it would cost to have it professionally done?

I personally don't think it is worth it. I bet you are looking at $600.00.

Definately not worth it, why the hell does Ford put those things on anyway, they're worthless.

Back