• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack rivvet size

RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro north Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer xlt
Hi I have a roof rack rivvet that is leaking in my 1993 explorer where can I get new ones at? I don't want to start drilling them out until I have the new ones, thanks and happy Thanksgiving guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sure they are rivets? Mine had these things, although I think the screws were counter sunk.
71cADwyDB-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mine had rivnuts and tapered Phillips head screws.

Is the rivet lose? If not, use some RTV or window caulking. When I removed my rack, I used white silicone caulking to close the holes.

Mine had rivnuts and tapered Phillips head screws.

Is the rivet lose? If not, use some RTV or window caulking. When I removed my rack, I used white silicone caulking to close the holes.
Can I just caulk the head on the roof rail? Or do I need to caulk the base that meets the body as well?

I had to drill all the rivets out as I had pockets of rust from standing water. Sanded down to all the rust and painted the entire roof with Eastwood Rust encapsulator. Will be reinstalling the support rails with sealing nuts and bolts. Some RTV on the inside for good measure. The Rack rail mounts are leaking as well and will probably use ProFlexRV roof sealant on both sides of the rivnuts.
Cheers!

Back