Roof/Windshield leak?

mrgraham

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 silverado
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I recently picked up a 91 XL from a friends father who really didn't use it much and it has been parked in a garage for years. We don't have room in the garage at home and it is parked outside. I recently noticed water leaking around the front passenger side of the headliner and dripping onto the floor. I did reseal the outside of windshield with no luck. There is a roof rack towards the back (no sunroof)...could the water being coming in around the mounts on the rack and running to the front? It is pretty level where it is parked.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you see it dripping from the top down then yeah it's possible. The best thing you can do is remove the headliner completely & then have someone run water from outside while you sit inside to pinpoint the leak. It's likely from the top windshield molding.

It seems to be fairly common for the upper corners of the wildshield to leak, probably because that's where the "aerodynamic" rain gutters on the roof go to, and so that area gets rusty and you get pinhole leaks, if not outright holes.

A proper fix would be to remove the windshield, remove the interior headliner, sand down the metal, weld up the holes, primer and paint everything, then replace the windshield.

A proper fix would be to remove the windshield, remove the interior headliner, sand down the metal, weld up the holes, primer and paint everything, then replace the windshield.

Ditto that :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you haven't already found it take a peak at the Fixing a leaky Windshield thread. Lots of info and pics.

18205Sandblasted_Windshield_1_WEB1-med.jpg

Thanks for the ideas and great information. I was hoping to avoid spending a great deal of time and money on it (as it will work as a plow truck at home) but it looks like I have some projects to do. It is in great shape and I want to ensure we have it for years to come. While it is a 91, it only saw three winters and has only been used a few months during the summer since 95.

Thanks again!

If you don't want to spend too much time/money doing it, you can always just buy the windshield removal tool for ~$10, pop out the windshield yourself (careful not to force it, otherwise it'll crack and you be buying a new one for $100+), pull down the headliner just in front, sand off the rust, fill with JB Weld, fiberglass, or do a quickie welding job with some scrap metal, prime/paint with whatever you have, then use 3M Windo-weld in a tube for ~$15 to stick the windshield back on.

Great info Anime! I have this issue too!

Back