Rotational dull sound in driveline | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotational dull sound in driveline

RichRed 98

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4x4
Hey folks....newbie here..just picked up my first Ford, a 98 Explorer Sport. I like it so far but I'm hearing a faint whumping sound at around 25 to 35 mph. It's a rotational sound and goes away at highway speeds and during accellerating. Hard to pinpoint location but it sounds midway to front. What are the most common sources of this? I'd like to fix it before I ruin something. Also, just bought a new fuel filter and , surprise, I can't get it off. I think I need some kind of tool to remove the fuel lines from it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you do need a tool to get the filter off. any part store will have it. i work at advance auto and i think it is $6 for it.

start by checking joints drive line and mounts next check any thing that sets close to tranny and transfercase it could be torque makeing things hit but i bet its a bad ujoint or mount p.s. dont forget to releve the preasure from the fuel system before changing the filter gas hurts in the eyes

Thanks...I was under it today checking for anything obvious but so far...nothing

jack it up with 4 jacks and turn it on, then put it in drive. get under it, being VERY caeful not to touch any exhaust or driveline components. then listen for the sound so u can more accuratley determine its source.

Back