rough idle after start up and hard to keep running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rough idle after start up and hard to keep running

jujuss07

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisville, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ST 4x4
I have an 05 ST and pretty much every time i start it up after ive been running it around its hard to keep at idle at start up. i'll start it up and it will idle rough and often die if i dont give it gas. its been doing this for quite a while now. i just did a tune up with new plugs and wires..i run fuel system cleaner in it quite often. fuel filter was changed not too long ago too. the problem still occurs. i dont have any other ideas as to what it could be other than maybe an injector going out or something else to do with the ignition system. after i actually get it started and start driving it runs perfectly fine. its just getting it started thats the problem. hopefully i can get some help ideas here cause its getting really aggravating..and its kinda embarrassing when it wont start up when people are around ha.

thanks
A1C Buckley USAF:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the famous Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve. Very common and a very easy fix. :) Some people have had luck cleaning them but I never have. Part is only $60 or so, so just replace it and be done!! Takes about 5 minutes to replace.

I had luck cleaning my IAC with electronics cleaners but it got me a few months time then it started happening again so I just replaced it.

yeah i saw some stuff that kinda pointed to it being the IAC. i was also thinking it might be a vacuum line too. the weather has been kinda messy here the past few days so ive been having to deal with it acting up at the moment. i'll probably go to the auto hobby shop on base tomorrow morning and check it all out.

is there some reason why it would do this more after its been ran and is at operating temp then when its cold?

A1C Buckley USAF

Back