timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I have a 93 Ex sport.

The problem i'm having is if i drive the vehicle for a bit then turn it off and let it cool for 10 minutes to an hour and then go to fire it up again it idles very rough. So rough sometimes that it'll die. The problem occurs more often when i turn it off when the engine is really warm/hot.

It feels kinda like a miss maybe, but i'm not totally sure.

I did notice that when it is idling rough the volt meter in the gauge cluster flickers back and forth between the middle of the gauge up to the highest reading on the gauge.

Any advice on what this might be and how to fix it would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is a problem that alot of explorers seem to have . what I did to cure it was , change both of the coolant sensors & take the injectors clean , sonic bathe them , back flush & rebuild them . the problem went away . you can just get you some rebuilt injectors if you want . but if you do these things I can pretty much guarantee your problem will go away .

one other thing is while I was right there I also replaced the lower intake manifold gasket . it is well worth doing while you are there . be sure let us know how it goes !!! :salute:

Upper and lower intake gaskets are on sale right now at rock auto. The kit is under $10, then all you need is some injector o rings, and carb cleaner.

you are correct 2stroke , but you also need to change the screens on the injectors , & replace the valve cover gaskets while you are there . they must be removed to take off the L.I.M. Plus you really need to back flush the injectors , you would be surprised at the dirt that comes out of the injector . but sometimes finances just wont allow a person to do things as they should . :roll:

I feel your pain . wish you luck & know we are here if you need us . :D

Well cleaning the sensors didn't fix the rough idle issue. However the engine does run better overall, just still have the rough idle.

Have to get the rear diff done this month then brakes, ball joints and wheel bearings next month.

My plan is to do the injectors and intake manifold seals in June, hopefully. So it looks like it'll be a while.

Back