Rough Idle With A/C | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle With A/C

deebee83

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer xlt
I have a 2013 explorer xlt and when I turn my a/c on my idle gets rough, why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ac will put somewhat of a strain on the engine at idle, does it "miss", or does it just sound "labored"? And welcome to the forum!

Hello.Just joined the forums. Picked up my 2013 xlt last Friday. Still learning the vehicle but noticed the erratic idle when the heat was on the other day. today,turned the ac on to see how the controls work and noticed the same thing.there is a you tube video- "2013 explorer idle issue mp4", that shows exactly what mine is doing. haven.t found any follow ups anywhere on this. can anybody chime in? Thanks

Edit.My caps button sticks sometimes. Sorry.

Hello.Just joined the forums. Picked up my 2013 xlt last Friday. Still learning the vehicle but noticed the erratic idle when the heat was on the other day. today,turned the ac on to see how the controls work and noticed the same thing.there is a you tube video- "2013 explorer idle issue mp4", that shows exactly what mine is doing. haven.t found any follow ups anywhere on this. can anybody chime in? Thanks

I'm happy to assist, 09svt. I highly recommend taking your vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis. Please send the odometer reading; I'll check the available resources.

Kwasi

WOW! I never expected such a quick response let alone some one from Ford itself.Thank you!The vehicle has 57275 km on it. It has to go back to have the 14-0130 TSB done on it (requested by me at time of purchase as a 'just in case measure since I will be hauling around my 2 nieces in the back) as well as to pick up the spare key.I intend to discuss the issue with the service manager at that time and don't anticipate any issues.This dealership (sales side) is outstanding(so far),but the service department is above and beyond.They are the only ones I let touch my GT500 and they haven't disappointed me yet.As an aside,I wish this type of response from Ford existed when the clutch went on the shelby at 20,000 miles.It was a known issue with these units and all I got was (from the selling dealership-a different one)-was 'normal wear and tear' here's your bill,and from a supervisor at Ford customer care 'well sir,we are just here to tell customers what the new car colors are'! Any way, that's water under the bridge.I will post up what the end results are with this issue.Thank you Kwasi for taking an interest,very much appreciated. Pat

...I will post up what the end results are with this issue.Thank you Kwasi for taking an interest,very much appreciated. Pat

Your satisfaction is what we strive for, 09svt. Please PM me your VIN, registered name on the vehicle, daytime phone number, booking arrangements, and dealer info; I'll escalate your concern to the regional customer service manager.

Kwasi

Coming from a 2013 Interceptor, I know its a totally different beast, but I have 24500 miles currently and about 700 hours of idle time last I checked. I have front and rear aux. AC and I dont notice any discernible difference at idle. I run 87 octane mostly, with premium for long trips and a dash of E85 around town here and there. I changed the factory air cleaner filter at 10k miles, and run motorcraft synth. blend oil every 5500 miles regardless.

Coming from a 2013 Interceptor, I know its a totally different beast, but I have 24500 miles currently and about 700 hours of idle time last I checked. I have front and rear aux. AC and I dont notice any discernible difference at idle. I run 87 octane mostly, with premium for long trips and a dash of E85 around town here and there. I changed the factory air cleaner filter at 10k miles, and run motorcraft synth. blend oil every 5500 miles regardless.

PI's are made and tuned to idle, the manual recommends against constant or frequent long term idling for other model Ex's.

I am having the same issue with the idle when AC/heat is on. Feels like the vehicle is going to shutoff at times, I seen this before in other cars and normally it was a TPS. But since this is. 2014 XLT, with about 15,000 miles I wouldn't imagine having an issue this early.

I am having the same issue with the idle when AC/heat is on. Feels like the vehicle is going to shutoff at times, I seen this before in other cars and normally it was a TPS. But since this is. 2014 XLT, with about 15,000 miles I wouldn't imagine having an issue this early.

Hi Swartz22,

Are you heading in to the dealership soon? I'll loop in your regional customer service manager so they can assist in getting this resolved. Just send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll move this up the line. :thumbsup:

Crystal

A/C Issue / Rough Idle

On super hot days it seems my Ex doesn't cool as well as it should. Vent temps are cold but don't have that real "bite". My 2000 Ranger that has never had the a/c serviced has colder vent temps.

Now this is only at idle and the fans are running. It performs fine when the car is moving.

I've noticed every so often that the idle goes to crap and its due to the compressor engaging for just a 1/2 second about every 5 seconds.

Check out the video below showing the RPMS, the clutch engaging, and also low side pressures using a a/c fill gauge (sorry don't have a manifold set). BTW this vehicle was filmed when the ambient air temp is 65 degrees.

Also check the image below showing the pressure readings from the line sensor (green) along with RPMS (blue).

If I turn the Ex off and then back on it goes away and doesn't appear until a random time.

I know cars pretty just not A/C systems (though I know a little). Is this air in the system, over fill, or blockage?

forscan%20screenshot.png

The only time I notice any strange behavior with the AC and engine idle is around 105 outside temp (doesn't really seem to do it around 100 or less or 110 or more).

Never have hit above 100.

This can do it anywhere between 60-95 degrees.

On super hot days it seems my Ex doesn't cool as well as it should. Vent temps are cold but don't have that real "bite". My 2000 Ranger that has never had the a/c serviced has colder vent temps.

Now this is only at idle and the fans are running. It performs fine when the car is moving.

I've noticed every so often that the idle goes to crap and its due to the compressor engaging for just a 1/2 second about every 5 seconds.
Although I'm no expert on A/C, I would say that the reason you are not getting really cold air at idle is because the compressor isn't really engaging long enough. It looks like you have a problem there.
When my A/C engages at idle, the drop in RPM is barely noticeable.

Peter

Hard to say exactly without having a full manifold set attached but it looks like either a low charge, a clogged / restricted orifice, or a closed expansion valve. You really need to know what the high side is doing to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem. Since you indicated that it is random you can probably eliminate low charge as the root cause. Not that it matters much, if you have the orifice or expansion valve replaced they will evacuate the refrigerant and recharge the system to the specified amount on the label under the hood.

The RPM drop looks completely normal for an engine at idle being put under load by the compressor. I would suspect you have the issue at road speeds as well it is just that you cant really tell because your RPM's are higher.

I feel on hot days my AC sucks... It doesn't do a good job at all... Once the summer comes back around I will have to take it in to get checked out...

I will say my AC works great overall and in my case it's just "how mine performs at a certain narrow temp range"

Hard to say exactly without having a full manifold set attached but it looks like either a low charge, a clogged / restricted orifice, or a closed expansion valve. You really need to know what the high side is doing to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem. Since you indicated that it is random you can probably eliminate low charge as the root cause. Not that it matters much, if you have the orifice or expansion valve replaced they will evacuate the refrigerant and recharge the system to the specified amount on the label under the hood.

The RPM drop looks completely normal for an engine at idle being put under load by the compressor. I would suspect you have the issue at road speeds as well it is just that you cant really tell because your RPM's are higher.

Even though I don't have a manifold gauge set you can see the high side pressure via the sensor on the screenshot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally took it to the dealer today for them to fix along with a noisy clockspring, interior a-pillar to ****pit gap/flush issue, and for them to take pictures of my hood bubbles to send out to Ford.

It was a leaky o-ring at the condenser where the discharge hose attaches. Had to add 9 oz of 134a.

Back