• Register Today It's free!

Rough scraping

theluke19

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
So basically, My 'Sploder is sittin 100 miles away in college station, due to a rough scraping/clunking noise coming from my front right wheel well.

I have a 96 explorer sport 4wd and I was just traveling down the highway, music up, and i heard something that soudned like a flat tire, or something in my tire, so i exited, and pulled into a parking lot, expecting to find a board with a nail in it stuck in my tire. Weird thing was, it wasnt pulling, or riding rough.

Turns out, that wasn't the problem at all and I'm still not sure what the problem is :-\ I'm hoping that by posting my problem on here, It will be diagnosed by on of you Explorer Gods. :).

It starts making the noise, and my passenger said he could feel the vibration/scraping on at his feet. Basically it soudns like a helicopter when i go over 60, and the noise slows down as I slow down, so its a rotational noise. It only gets loud at 30 mph or above. There is no pulling, or anything fishy with the brakes.

Please help, I'd feel much safer with my explorer at my house than 100 miles away in College station. Maybe if you are in college station, and would like to maybe take a look at it to help you better understand the problem?

'Preciate it fellas.

did you check you bearings...somtimes its a clunk clunk or a grinding noise,

Definatly sounds like you have a hub/wheel bearing assembly ready to fail.

Ditto. It sounds like either a hub/bearing problem, or a halfshaft/CV joint issue. Time to pull the wheel off to see what it is!

-Joe

Back