Round lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Round lights?

Anyone have any pics of round driving lights mounted on top of the front bumper? I crunched the lower valance and thought I might replace it with one without the foglight holes and mount some 6" Hellas on top of the bumper....so I can actually get some usable light. Those factory driving lights are useless.....

Troutman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

;) ;)

If you click on the link for my Hella 500's you can see what I did.

Right on!! That's exactly what I was looking for.

If you click on 99 XLT it will take you to all my pics and you can see some more up close pics of the light bar. I mounted mine on the bar because the 99+ bumpers are all plastic and they shook really bad. If yours is 95-98 model, I am not sure but your bumper might be metal and you can mount them directly to the bumper. Jefe has some on his rig also, and he made custom mounts that go between the bumper and the body and go down and bolt on to the bumper mounts. My idea was easier, but his looks cleaner, just depends what you want.

not what you are looking for but here is another idea...(not the best pic but you get the point)

Attachments

• skid_on.jpg
    skid_on.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 271

I mount my 4000s on a grill guard. The 4 550s are mounted on the black part of the bumper outside the grill guard's 2 columns going up. On Wedsday I pick up a pair of FF1000. I was thinking about putting it in the location where 1 pair of 550's are and relocate those 550s underneath the other 2 550's for a double deck

addkev,

i was checking out the bumper and i think you're right. if i cut away the bumper pad, the lights can mount directly to the bumper.

considering how much an exploder costs new....it seems like ford could add a little better quality lights. thinking back....i can't believe how many times i've had to replace those $10 bulbs.......

do the 500's need beefed up wiring or could i use the stock wiring?

Out of the box they are 55w bulbs and the wire that came with them was 18ga, I am not sure what the stock wiring is.

i'm gonna guess that there are more bulb options??

hey, addkev... could you please let me know your method of doing the light bar? i have a 2000 xlt and since i mounted my piaa 520's on the bumper, i haven't been able to mount them securely enough on there. i have been trying to find a way to get them good and tight and your way seems to be just the ticket! thanks in advance.

I made mine as simple as possible, because I didn't have alot of tools available at the time. Basically, the 2 notches that stick up on the bumper are 3' apart. At Home Depot they sell 1"x1"x36" angle iron. At first I used just one piece of angle iron but I had some alignment problems with the lights because they are designed to be mounted on a horizontal mount not vertical. So I simply bought another piece of 1"x1"x36" angle iron and bolted it on top of the other angle iron. So before it was like this:
L
Now it is like this:
[
If you look at some of the close ups you can see what I mean. I used some really big washers on the inside of the bumper to try and keep from messing up the plastic, and the angle iron acts like a pretty good washer on the outside. As far as corrosion goes, I bought galvanized angle iron and then primed and painted with truck bed liner. I have had it on there for about 4 months and no complaints.

awesome! thanks, i think i have found my next mod!

troutman

on my '98,i did the same thing as addkev, i put mine closer together, sort of land rover looking.

i never had a vibration problem and ran 85 watt bulbs.

after starting out with the driving lights [hella 500] i ended up changing to the fog lenses [because on-road i would only tick other drivers off] i removed the bulb shield it helped some.

peter

Back