• Register Today It's free!

Royal Purple As Additive?

Ornery

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB V8 4WD
I've never used synthetic oil. Really couldn't justify the high cost VS benefits. My cars usually die of rust, not engine failure. But, these Royal Purple Oil Test Results are truly amazing! I'm curious whether I could achieve the benefits of the ultra low wear of Royal Purple by adding only one quart to my normal oil? I'd love to see that tested. Of course, if you asked the manufacturer of Deep Purple, they'd say no. Their sales would drop by 80% if folks only used it as an additive.

One of their products I'm sure to add to my fluids shelf, is their Max-Tuff Synthetic Assembly Lubricant. Anything I lubricate with that should NEVER wear out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Synthetic and regular oil can be mixed, but you should use the same grade 5W-30 for the V6 and 5W-20 for the V8.

Both the V6 and the V8 in the Explorer use roller cam followers, so there are no examples of where that test may apply in your engine that I can think of. Any testing that does not carry the engineering test standard number is suspect and you should not put any faith in the validity of the results.

Most engine wear occurs when engine is cold and the wear is negligible when the engine is up to temperature. Synthetic oil is naturally thin when hot or cold so does not need the viscosity improvers (that wear out) of regular oil. Thin oil also helps the hydraulic actuation of the tappets and the timing chain tensioner to minimize valve train clatter.

Good luck.

The Timken OK Load test specification is ASTM D-2509

Between 1935 and 1972, The Timken Company produced and sold a lubricant test machine that was used to determine the EP (extreme pressure) characteristics of grease and oil lubricants. It became an industry-standard test. A bearing race is mounted on a tapered arbor that is rotating at a high speed. A square, steel test block is then loaded against the rotating race, with the contact area flooded with the test lubricant. The load on the block is increased in increments until the oil film is broken and the spinning race produces a score mark on the test block. The load-value that produces the score is then called the Timken “O.K.” load rating.

It was generally assumed that the higher the O.K. value, the more load the lube could hold without the film strength being compromised. However, this is not necessarily the case, and the primary purpose of the test is to determine whether or not the lube has an EP additive. Values higher than 35 lbs. indicate the presence of an EP additive.
Royal_Purple.jpg

That image impresses me too, and they do offer a 5W20 version. But, unless someone actually tests petroleum based oil with 20% Royal Purple mixed in, I'm not in a hurry to spend that extra money.

I have used an oil from BND Automotive in my 5.7L Dodge Charger. With this EX now, I called them to seee if they could make me a blend for the V8 3V.

This company is outstanding and they really take care of the customer. They actually blend oil for your specific needs. Brian, the owner will talk with you directly, find out about your vehicle, how much you drive, conditions (Stop and go or highways), where you live (Temps, coastal salt air, etc...) and create a specific blend for you.

They have 3rd party lab testing that shows that the oil maintains its effectivness even after 10,000 miles and/or 1 year in the vehicle. Yeah, I did that with the Charger, 10,000 mile interval on oil changes. It is more expensive than standard oil, but with that type of interval, it actually becomes cheaper.

They also have a fuel additive called Aves IV. The Dodge 5.7L has a thing called the "Hemi Tick" that is a lifter noise that we all used to just accept. Well, the Aces IV made it go away.

I'm going to do my next change with the BND oil and do a full write up in about a month

Very interesting BN. That outfit is 25 miles from my house, and only a couple miles from a place I buy drums of floor soap from. Coincidence?

BND Automotive LLC
PO Box 670016
Northfield, OH 44067
440-821-9040
925-281-0181 fax

sales@bndautomotive.com

I'll ask our rep. about their capabilities for making fuel additive, oil and coolant. I already know they're capable of making the interior protection products. Mostly, I'd like to know if they're affiliated with BND, and if I can get a discount of course!

Heck yeah!!! I bet it is, Brian is a chemical engineer by trade!

Back