Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1 ATF???? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1 ATF????

I don't know about motor oil for that. Amsoil says:

Manual Transmission,
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=ATFQT-EA

If your local guy knows his stuff and is giving you a good warranty I guess go for it. Why doesn't Ford recommend Manual Transmission Fluid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '88 Ranger, 7.5 rear, ran regular 'ol 75W90 differential fluid. I would run down the parkway at 70MPH for 2 hrs, get home and feel the pumpkin. It was pretty hot.

Switched to AMSOIL 75 or 80W90...same trip...pull in the driveway, feel the pumpkin...it was WARM...HALF the temp of the other gear oil.

That says a LOT.

thank you, but I wasn't trying to find out if synthetic was better. I'm trying to find out if this guy is filling me full of **** about using synthetic 10w30 motor oil in it instead of the ATF.

AMSOIL...period...There is NO better lubricant on the market. Expensive? Yes. BUT, the longterm benefits are priceless!!! Mobil 1 doesn't hold a candle to Amsoil. It is simply the BEST . In all honestly, I would run Valvoline synthetic over Mobil 1 ANY day. That stuff is over-rated...it's not even a true synthetic.

That's a pretty bold statement. Do you have any hard evidence (not just your opinion) to back that up? I would be interested in seeing it.

As for manual trans lube, I hate to say this guys, but there are a lot...and I mean a lot...of Ford and Mopar guys that swear up and down this is the best stuff out there. All I can say is I use it in my Cobra's T56 and it made an amazing difference in how it shifts. That is typical of everyone who switches to it.

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/gm_syncromesh.html

(This is not to be used where gear lube is called for)

I have a 94 Ranger with the manual trans in it. I had to have it rebuilt, found a local guy. he told me to use 10/30 synthetic motor oil in it. he said that the ATF wasn't a good lube for the trans and the only reason it was used was because GM got in trouble over fluid leakage. I know the book says ATF and have read this thread. I have been told that some have used the synthetic motor oil and not had any problems. I bought the synthetic motor oil (royal purple 10w30) but wanted some input from more people before I actually do this.

thank you, but I wasn't trying to find out if synthetic was better. I'm trying to find out if this guy is filling me full of **** about using synthetic 10w30 motor oil in it instead of the ATF.

Run, don't walk, away from that shop. Motor oil and trans fluid are nowhere near the same... Unless those guys at the trans shop are willing to put it in writing and stand behind any problems it causes, I'd stick with the factory recommendation, thank you very much.

As for manual trans lube, I hate to say this guys, but there are a lot...and I mean a lot...of Ford and Mopar guys that swear up and down this is the best stuff out there. All I can say is I use it in my Cobra's T56 and it made an amazing difference in how it shifts. That is typical of everyone who switches to it.

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/gm_syncromesh.html

(This is not to be used where gear lube is called for)

Yes, that stuff works well, but it's not compatible with all transmissions. For example, in a second-generation Probe GT, it will (ironically) eat the synchros. That trans just doesn't like it. While it is good lube, it's not necessarily the best for all applications.

RedLine fluids are also a good choice... as for which one is best? It's a judgement call... Personally, I stick with the factory recommendations for nearly all of mine in all my vehicles (save for the motorcycle).

-Joe

my thought is that in motorcycles they use conventional motor oil in them. the motor oil is also in the transmission and clutch. the transmission gears are straight cut which causes more shearing than diagonal cut that is in a manual transmission for trucks/cars. I've asked a few mechanics locally and they reminded me of that.

my thought is that in motorcycles they use conventional motor oil in them. the motor oil is also in the transmission and clutch. the transmission gears are straight cut which causes more shearing than diagonal cut that is in a manual transmission for trucks/cars. I've asked a few mechanics locally and they reminded me of that.

True, the gears are straight cut, but more often than not, motorcycles also utilize a wet clutch which is lubed by the same oil as the rest of the motor and transmission. The *energy-saving* oils contain additives that often times cause clutch slippage issues.

-Joe

AMSOIL...period...There is NO better lubricant on the market. Expensive? Yes. BUT, the longterm benefits are priceless!!! Mobil 1 doesn't hold a candle to Amsoil. It is simply the BEST . In all honestly, I would run Valvoline synthetic over Mobil 1 ANY day. That stuff is over-rated...it's not even a true synthetic.

Woah there nelly. While Mobil 1 is not as good as it used to be and not as good as Amsoil as Amsoil is probably the best synthetic, Mobil 1 is not terrible. It is a true synthetic unless you're not counting Group 3 oils as not true synthetics which they are. It's just not a Group 4 oil anymore like it used to be and like Amsoil is. Mobil 1 is still a decent synthetic. I run 10,000-12,000 miles on Mobil 1 motor oil with useful life still left on it at change time determined by UOA oil analysis. A M5OD transmission would probably not be able to tell any difference between Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Pennzoil Platinum or any other full synthetic.

True, the gears are straight cut, but more often than not, motorcycles also utilize a wet clutch which is lubed by the same oil as the rest of the motor and transmission. The *energy-saving* oils contain additives that often times cause clutch slippage issues.

-Joe

true but the truck has a dry clutch so don't have to worry about the friction modifiers.

Woah there nelly. While Mobil 1 is not as good as it used to be and not as good as Amsoil as Amsoil is probably the best synthetic, Mobil 1 is not terrible. It is a true synthetic unless you're not counting Group 3 oils as not true synthetics which they are. It's just not a Group 4 oil anymore like it used to be and like Amsoil is. Mobil 1 is still a decent synthetic. I run 10,000-12,000 miles on Mobil 1 motor oil with useful life still left on it at change time determined by UOA oil analysis. A M5OD transmission would probably not be able to tell any difference between Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Pennzoil Platinum or any other full synthetic.

group 3 is not a full synthetic oil, it's been broken down and all the bad stuff taken out and reassembled. if it was a full synthetic they wouldn't have had to have a group 3.

It is my understanding that while most Group 3 oils are blends a high quality group 3 can be a full synthetic just not made to the same standards as a group 4 sythetic.

Mobil 1 is a full synthetic oil as advertised. To be otherwise would be a very foolish move on their part...and stupid they aren't.

I've never used Amsoil before but next weekend I will be changing all the drive train oils to synthetic.

I was going to use Mobil1 but following the usual search on the forum I would like to give Amsoil a try. I've found a UK supplier but which product to use.

my car is a 1997 SOHC V6 with 160k miles, I do a lot of towing with a full load + roof box. Also we tend to go camping in hilly parts of Europe.

so for the Autobox and transfer box I have a choice on Amsoil products

Fully Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (product code ATF)
Synthetic Low Viscosity Automatic Transmission Fluid (product code ATL)
Super Shift Racing Transmission Fluid (product code ART)
Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (product code ATD)

they are all the same price (£15.50 ($23) a litre) which one is best for my truck?

for the Diffs

SEVERE GEAR Synthetic Extreme Pressure Lubricant 75W-90 + Amsoil Slip-Lock Differential Additive

One more question, if I'm dropping the pan and changing the filter, how much oil will I need. I guess I will have to drain and fill a few times to get rid of all the Mercon or are there some tricks you all know to get most of the olds stuff out

cheers

Jim

AMSOIL website will tell you what products work in your car(s).

The ATF is very likely the best choice, the other three are more specific to other uses. If fuel mileage was your main goal, and not much heavy use like towing was done, the new low viscosity would be good.

FYI, see if Amsoil will ship to you, the cost is about $11 a quart for ATF, so $23 is a big markup.

The Severe Gear comes in three weights, pick the one that matches the usage. That lightest weight is best for basically highway use and no towing. It is all very good stuff. Night,

thanks both, Amsoil US won't ship directly to me in the UK so I have to go with the local stockist.

as for the web site, just a load of generic specs on the products and nothing specific for the explorer. That's why I was asking people with practical explorer experience.

cheers

Jim

as for the web site, just a load of generic specs on the products and nothing specific for the explorer. That's why I was asking people with practical explorer experience.

cheers

Jim

1997 FORD TRUCKS EXPLORER 4.0L 6-cyl Engine Code [E] SOHC
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS: Lookup Another Vehicle
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (SSOQT)
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
All TEMPS......5W-30
Manual Transmission,M5OD-R1......MA
Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)
Automatic Transmission,5R55E......MA5
Differential, Front......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)
Limited Slip Differential, Rear......GL-5*
All TEMPS......75W-140 [1] [2]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVOQT)
80W-140 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGO05)
Standard Differential, Rear......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-140 [2]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVOQT)
80W-140 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGO05)
Transfer Case,Warrner 4405......MA
Transfer Case,Full-Time 4WD......MA
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid......MA
Power Steering Fluid......MA
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
Clutch Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
[1] Synthetic oil is required.
[2] Limited Slip Identification: Letter & number
on plate on door lock pillar. (Models W/ Traction-Lok Rear
Axle Add 4 oz of friction modifier part no. C8AZ-19B546A
(EST-M2C118-A) or equivalent)
FILTERS:
Oil Filter Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EAO15)
Oil Filter WIX 51515 Oil Filter
Air Filter Absolute Efficiency Air Filter (EAA419) [1]
Air Filter Absolute Efficiency Air Filter (EAA122) [2]
Air Filter WIX 46419 Air Filter [1]
Air Filter WIX 46416 Air Filter [3]
Air Filter WIX 46253 Air Filter [2]
Fuel Filter WIX 33296 Fuel Filter
Transmission Filter WIX 58841 Auto Tran Filter [4]
Transmission Filter WIX 58840 Auto Tran Filter [5]
Oil Vapor Filter WIX 46978 Air Filter
[1] w/o Cone
[2] Panel Style
[3] w/ Cone
[4] 4WD
[5] 2WD
NGK PLUGS AND WIRESETS:
GPSERIES PLUG TR55GP NGK3403 [1]
IXIRIDIUM PLUG TR55IX NGK7164 [1]
PREMIUMIRIDIUM PLUG ITR5F13 ^ [1]
PREMIUMPLATINUM PLUG PTR5F-11 * [1]
VPOWER PLUG TR55 NGK3951 [1]
WIRESET WIRESET RC-FDZ081 [2]
[1] Plugs - SOHC
[2] SOHC (RHD)
WIPER BLADES:
Blade Class Driver Passenger Rear
ExactFit T181 T181 T122 [1]
ExactFit T141 [2]
NeoForm T16180 T16180 T16140 [2]
Winter T37180 T37180 T37131
[1] Early
[2] Late
CHASSIS LUBRICATION:
4WD
0-10 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease NLGI#2 GC/LB (GRGCR)
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2 GC/LB (GLCTB)
Synthetic Water Resistant Lithium Complex Grease; NLGI #2 GC/LB (GWRCR)
2WD
0-6 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease NLGI#2 GC/LB (GRGCR)
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2 GC/LB (GLCTB)
Synthetic Water Resistant Lithium Complex Grease; NLGI #2 GC/LB (GWRCR)
CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........5 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........13.8 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 5R55E Initial Fill..........Not Specified
Automatic Transmission, 5R55E Initial Fill..........Not Specified
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed 4WD 5R55E..........9.9 quarts
5 speed 2WD 5R55E..........9.6 quarts
Manual Transmission, M5OD-R1..........5.5 pints
Manual Transmission, ..........5.5 pints
Differential, Dana 35 Front..........3.6 pints [2]
Differential, Rear..........5.5 pints [3]
Transfer Case, Warrner 4405..........3 pints
Transfer Case, Full-Time 4WD..........2.8 pints
[1] When refilling, remove dipstick to provide adequate venting
and allow oil to flow into crankcase.
[2] Fill no higher than 9.5 mm or 3/8 inch below fill plug.
[3] Fill to no more than 1/4 to 9/16 inch below fill plug hole.
TORQUES:
Oil Drain Plug.....17-22 ft/lbs
Manual Transmission Maz M50D 5-SPD
Fill Plug 29-43 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 29-43 ft/lbs
Transfer Case
Fill Plug 14-22 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 14-22 ft/lbs

Transfer Case Full-Time
Fill Plug 13 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 13 ft/lbs

OTHER TOP QUALITY PRODUCTS:
Mothers® Car Care Appearance Products
By-Pass Oil Filters
PI Performance Improver Gasoline Additive
Product Recommendations and Drain Interval Chart

Run the purp in the engine and amsoil in the tranny. Thats what i run and it works well. I runn nothing but royal purple in all my vehicles engines, i really dont see anything in the way of hp gain like they say but my engine deffinitly ran much much smoother with royal purple in it. The temp dropped alittle also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks both, Amsoil US won't ship directly to me in the UK so I have to go with the local stockist.

cheers

Jim

Have you looked into becoming an Amsoil dealer?
http://www.amsoil.com/opportunity.aspx

Back