Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1 ATF???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1 ATF????

snoborder42

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
What are people's experience with these synthetic ATF's in the M5od tranny???

At a local dealer I can get Amsoil ATF for $9.79 qt, Royal Purple Max ATF for $9.99 qt, or Mobil1 ATF for $5.99 qt.

I know Aldive and others swear by Amsoil but is it that good to justify spending $4.00 more a qt??? And by a bit of searching on here Royal Purple doesn't seem to be too well represented. Any reasons for that???

I just want some insight because the tranny fluid has around 45k on it and needs to be changed, the transfer case was changed around 12k ago but if I've got some extra laying around I might as well swap that out too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Used Amsoil though it is pretty good, it is just so darn expensive. I am using Mobile 1 cause it is about 6 bucks and didn't notice anything different from the last fluid change

:eek:Moble 1 all the way,
I have moble 1 oil, and transmition oil
:D:D:D:D:D

Any of those would be fine in the M5OD. And once you have that in there you don't ever really need to change it unless it gets water or something in it. Just check it every once in a while and make sure there's enough. Manual transmissions aren't picky like auto transmissions. As long as they're lubricated by almost anything they're happy.

Any of those would be fine in the M5OD. And once you have that in there you don't ever really need to change it unless it gets water or something in it. Just check it every once in a while and make sure there's enough. Manual transmissions aren't picky like auto transmissions. As long as they're lubricated by almost anything they're happy.

Did you notice any differences when you swapped to synthetics???

Smoother shifts, less noise, better gas mileage???

I'm a Royal Purple fan myself.

I've used both Amsoil and Royal Purple and like them both.

I used the Amsoil in my BII's gear box and it shifted smoother. Also used there gear lube in the diffs. Didn't notice any different there.

The Explorer is getting Royal Purple and seems good so far.

Well after $29, a few choice words, and a bath of nasty ATF, the expo is finally running on fully snythetic tranny fluids :thumbsup: I decided to go with the Mobil 1 since it was the cheapest one at only $6.50/qt.

I finally took the plunge and did this. I'm so glad I did too, the old tranny fluid hadn't been changed in over 60k and was nasty. Also did the transfer case while I was at it. Hopefully there will be an increase in my fuel economy but if there isn't I won't care too much, the fluid needed to be changed anyway.

Did you notice any differences when you swapped to synthetics???

Smoother shifts, less noise, better gas mileage???

When I switched over I switched all of my fluids to synthetics. I noticed a 1-2mpg gain.

When you order as a member of Amsoil yourself, the cost is near to $7 per quart, plus S&H and taxes. BTW, they now have a 5% surcharge for fuel costs.

Whats your long term review on the fully snythetic tranny fluids?

Well after $29, a few choice words, and a bath of nasty ATF, the expo is finally running on fully snythetic tranny fluids :thumbsup: I decided to go with the Mobil 1 since it was the cheapest one at only $6.50/qt.

I finally took the plunge and did this. I'm so glad I did too, the old tranny fluid hadn't been changed in over 60k and was nasty. Also did the transfer case while I was at it. Hopefully there will be an increase in my fuel economy but if there isn't I won't care too much, the fluid needed to be changed anyway.

Whats your long term review on the fully snythetic tranny fluids?

It's pretty much the same as it was before the swap. My gas mileage did go up about .5 mpg. Not much but still something, but I've never taken it on a long freeway trip so that could be better, I just don't know. Although I do swear that my engine runs cooler now but I could be imagining it. The best part is that it made the tranny whine noticeably quieter. :thumbsup:

Overall I think it was worth it, the fluid had over 60k on it and needed to be changed. I figured, I'll get the better fluid because its still about 1/4 the price the dealer would charge me for them to do it.

I'm running whatever goo the tranny shop puts in mine when I have them change it every 30k. If you're going to run the factory intervals, there's little to be gained by going with synthetics in the trans IMHO.

On our transmissions, it's less important to use a high-end synthetic than it is to do regular fluid and filter changes. With regular fluid and filter changes, there's no reason the trans can't go several hundred thousand miles on plain ol' dino-oil.

-Joe

I switched to syntetic trans fluid becuse it can handle high heat better than conventional ATF..

Our trans (its an auto) can see high temps when wheeling.. I change it (pan drop) every 2 oil changes but I still want to do everything I can to not "cook" the trans fluid as once it cooks you might as well run water in the trans.

~Mark

Add more coolers Mark, and add them in parallel. The heat sink type would be good for extra cooling if needed.

[hijack]
I run two stacked plate coolers (one 30k gvwr and one 24k or 26k gvwr cooler) in front of the a/c condensor AND a 10" fan in front of one of the coolers.. The fan is on as long as the converter is not locked up.. I can still see pan temps up to 195F in extreme situations when its 110F outside.. Heck, I can see 130F pan temps even before I start the truck thanks to southern AZ heat..

I need a custom torque converter to get the stall back down to 2000 or so (its around 2800 now) to help cut down on some of the heat.. remember i"m running a 700r4...

[/hijack]

That isn't horrible, but not great, yet your use and the TC make it expected. You do have a external filter yes, that helps with capacity and cooling too. I have never had a temp. gauge connected, but I will with my 2800 TC soon.

The high end synthetic fluids can help a lot in severe duty usage, like towing or off road duty. Amsoil will maintain it's quality in high heat much much longer than cheap fluids. I expect to need about 15 quarts in my truck, do it right and make it last.

AMSOIL...period...There is NO better lubricant on the market. Expensive? Yes. BUT, the longterm benefits are priceless!!! Mobil 1 doesn't hold a candle to Amsoil. It is simply the BEST . In all honestly, I would run Valvoline synthetic over Mobil 1 ANY day. That stuff is over-rated...it's not even a true synthetic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 94 Ranger with the manual trans in it. I had to have it rebuilt, found a local guy. he told me to use 10/30 synthetic motor oil in it. he said that the ATF wasn't a good lube for the trans and the only reason it was used was because GM got in trouble over fluid leakage. I know the book says ATF and have read this thread. I have been told that some have used the synthetic motor oil and not had any problems. I bought the synthetic motor oil (royal purple 10w30) but wanted some input from more people before I actually do this.

Back