RPM Surge while downshifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RPM Surge while downshifting

xplorerbob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 AWD
My Explorer recently started surging when it is downshifting and almost to a complete stop. This only happens when it slows down from a speed of 40MPH or higher. I can feel and hear a thunk and watch the RPM climb from just under 1000 to about 1300 when it happens. Brakes and balljoints are all in good condition.

I just had the transmission rebuilt about 6 months ago and I am leaning toward another transmission issue. Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back to the trans shop.
Get out.
Point at truck.
Say "Fix"

Sounds like a torque converter issue. Make the shop fix the issue, and ask them if they changed the solenoid pack.

I plan on taking it back. I have paid a little more attention to the issue and it always happens on heavier braking when the speedometer reads about 20MPH. Only notice it after the vehicle is up to operating speed. I also noticed a hesitation in downshifting when I am turning a corner around 30MPH and give it gas. It hesistates when I mash on the gas and then finally downshifts and runs fine.

Torque converter or low fluid level.

Turned out to be the solenoid. It drives much better now.

Back