• Register Today It's free!

RR brake locks up

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
RR brake locks up driving me nuts. I have replaced the brake shoes all the way around, front calipers and rotors, LF brake line thinking if there was a restriction in the LF, the RR would get more pressure leading to my problem- but no result.
I have checked the parking brake and it moves really well, wheel cylinders are not leaking. It has 4wabs that quit working in the past year, but i doubt that is the cause since the 4wabs was working but coming on constantly due to the RR lock up. The problem is worst with cold brakes. A brake imbalance is evident when driving at speed and stepping on the brake causes a bit of a right-left pull. It feels like it first pulls in one direction, then to the other, then evens out. I cant tell which direction it pulls in 1st, its too quick. RR brake shoe wearing more than left. Drum looks good. I live in the mountains, so I do see heavy wear on brakes. I am thinking there is a restriction, maybe in the proportioning valve. Maybe in the ABS unit. Abs light stays on but no brake warning light.

I will have to try pulling the 4wabs dtc and fixing that since i got no other wisdom right now.

Living in Florida I don't use my parking brake much but if I do it is sluggish to release. If I release the parking brake start down the street and hit the brakes it will release all the way and will stop dragging. The brakes work fine otherwise so I suspect the parking brake cables.

Well I checked the parking brake cable at the RR wheel and it moves freely :/

Back