Rubber vs. Polyurethane

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
I have changed my RABS to polyurethane(sp). I did this a couple years ago.

My complaint about my truck now is that it seems to ride way too stiff for my taste.

Only bushings I have changed up front are the sway bar bushings, also poly, and the RABS. The shocks are Monroe Reflex.

If I take the time to replace the RABS again back to rubber and change the axle pivot bushings, (replace old rubber with new rubber) could I expect a little bit softer ride?

I don't that much about suspensions and what actually makes the ride more stiff or soft.

Anyone with advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian, I wouldn't expect the poly bushings to make that much difference in the ride. I have them on my rear sway bar, and can't tell much ride difference. It does handle much better, however.

Maybe it's the shocks? I once had a set of struts on a Mustang "tighten" up on me. This happened after hitting a speed bump too fast. The ride was terrible; almost like having no springs! I would disconnect a shock and check it before replacing the polys......

I would only use poly with sway bars and that is it. The suspension needs to "give" to absorb bumps on the road. Poly does not give much. So you'll end up feeling all the little bumps.

All poly Bushings are not created alike. Cheap bushings are hard as rock (example: perfect circle) You should get high quality bushings from a decent manufacturer (Daystar, Energy suspension etc). I have replaced every bushing on my truck with Energy suspension bushings. They are the best of both worlds; They are flexibly like rubber, but won't break down like rubber.
My x rides better than new right now..

LinkPhoto

what are the RABS bushings you speak of? Radius arms?

RABS = Rear Antilock Brake System

POly is better for all suspension bushings EXCEPt for the radius arms and axle pivot bushings.

Only reason rubber is better is it gives you a tiny bit more articulation.

Energy urethane bushings are great.

RABS = Rear Antilock Brake System

Oh yeah.

Anyways, yes the radius arm busings.

I am not concerned about articulation, but more with as comfortable a ride as I can get.

Will the energy suspension poly give me a more comfortable ride or should I just switch back to rubber ones?

I don't remember what brand they are but I purchased them through Performance Products. I think they were fairly inexpensive.

Brian

Rubber radius arm bushings = softer ride.
Urethane = stiffer ride but last longer.

Urethane in sway bars and shock ends.
Rubber in radius arms.

Gotta agree with 410 on this one.

On my 93 xlt 4x4, I had R/A, S/B and A/P poly E/S bushing. Just before I sold it, I replaced the R/A bushings with the Moog kit.

The ride was much softer and not near so stiff riding. The kit was about 40 bucks cdn and only takes an hour or 2 to change out. Give it a try, I think you will be pleased with the results.

BTW, I also had Reflex shocks, so my set-up was very similar.

Bill M.

Where can I find this "Moog Kit"?

Brian

o rielly sells moog stuff.

Brian:

Try Carquest, I think they handle Moog components. Not sure, but possibly NAPA also.

Moog part # K8361.

Bill

i just replaced the sway bar bushings with poly ones from energy suspension (explorer express) and it makes a difference in a positive way. it handles better and the ride quality has not gotten any rougher.

i agree with what was said above about the shocks....when i put in my edelbrocks at first it was pretty rough, but i started playing with tire pressure to moderate the spring rate. i went from about 36 psi down to 31-32, and the ride smoothed right out.

Back