Running bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running bad

Dave W.

Reaction score
Started up the 99 Ex 4.0 this morning, It was running rich and stmbling for about 5 minutes then it seemed fine. Took it out on the highway to blow the gunk out of it for about 10 miles @ 55mph, came back into town driving around and check engine light came on and stayed on. Came home disconnected the battery and her cool down, connected battery back up after a couple hours started it up same problem stumbling and burnig rich again for about 5 min. out on the highway I go come back into town, check engine light came on again. anybody know what is wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like an oxygen sensor to me. You have four of them by the way.

I agree with Jason, you have a bad oxygen sensor.

Did you try cleaning your MAF? If not it may be a quick simple fix. I don't know much about the 99 4.0 but I know in my 94 it has helped me out more than a few times. There is a thread on this site under FAQs. Good luck!

Happy Wheelin',

Joe

Thanks guys about the o2 sensors, and I did clean mass airflow sensor 2 weeks ago.

Yes it is an oxygen sensor, had it in the shop and they checked it out. They won't have the part till Thurs.

Back